User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chapter 10: Can't install acts_as_taggable plugin

Well, I made it to chapter 10, and the first step in chapter 10 has you install the acts_as_taggable plugin, which I attempted to do. However, when I run
    Code:
    ruby script/plugin install acts_as_taggable
    it just spits out
    Code:
    Plugin not found: ["acts_as_taggable"]
    Am I missing something here?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll, I got it working. I ran ruby script/plugin list and it only listed like 20 plugins, none of which were acts_as_taggable.

I then ran ruby script/plugin discover and added about 20 repositories.

I then ran ruby script/plugin install acts_as_taggable, it took a few minutes to run through all of the added respositories, but it did install.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should Be In The Errata.

That worked for me, thanks. My process added over 70 svn/http entries.

WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN RECORDED IN THE ERRATA?? THE ORIGINAL POST IS OVER 6 MONTHS OLD. IT SHOULD BE THERE.

The errata entry should tell us which specific repository to add, rather than having to go through over 70 entries (and more as time goes on...).

Also, I got the following error. Does this mean we're supposed to have Subversion installed in order to install plugins properly? This issue should be addressed in the errata as well...

$ ruby script/plugin install acts_as_taggable
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27: command not found: svn ls svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/expressica/plugins/

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also:

Evidently, the "deprecated code" requiring removal no longer exists in the recent version of the plugin. Needs to be addressed in the Errata.

The file referenced does not exist, or is incorrectly identified. In the version that I downloaded, there is not file named "acts_as_taggable.rb", there is only a file named "taggable.rb" in the directory.

HTH.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More problems: acts_as_taggable, pg 332

Well, I don't know if anybody else is having problems with this, but I can't run the exercises on pg 332, right off the bat:

Code:
    $ ruby script/console
    Loading development environment.
    >> s = Story.find(:first)
    NameError: uninitialized constant Tag
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:266:in `load_missing_constant'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:452:in `const_missing'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:464:in `const_missing'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/inflector.rb:250:in `constantize'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/core_ext/string/inflections.rb:148:in `constantize'
            from /home/cosmo/Desktop/web-prog/rails.sitepoint/shovell/vendor/plugins/acts_as_taggable/lib/taggable.rb:148:in `acts_as_taggable'
            from /home/cosmo/Desktop/web-prog/rails.sitepoint/shovell/app/models/story.rb:2
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:203:in `load_without_new_constant_marking'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:203:in `load_file'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:202:in `load_file'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:94:in `require_or_load'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:248:in `load_missing_constant'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:452:in `const_missing'
            from /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:464:in `const_missing'
            from (irb):1
    So, now this plugin is completely screwing up being able to query the Story table, even w/o trying to invoke any of the tagging functionality?

This is not being a fun chapter....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Subversion REQUIRED!

And yes, to answer my own question, Subversion is REQUIRED in order to install the plugin. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS!!

Code:
    $ ruby script/plugin install acts_as_taggable
    /usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27: command not found: svn ls svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/expressica/plugins/
    + ./acts_as_taggable/README
    + ./acts_as_taggable/init.rb
    + ./acts_as_taggable/lib/taggable.rb
    + ./acts_as_taggable/test/abstract_unit.rb
    + ./acts_as_taggable/test/acts_as_taggable_test.rb
    + ./acts_as_taggable/test/database.yml
    + ./acts_as_taggable/test/fixtures/companies.yml
    + ./acts_as_taggable/test/fixtures/posts.yml
    + ./acts_as_taggable/test/fixtures/topics.yml
    $

Code:
    $ ruby script/plugin list                    
    svn: Connection closed unexpectedly
    Unknown command: 
    Usage: plugin [OPTIONS] command
    Rails plugin manager.
    C'mon Sitepoint, get it together, it's so frustrating being put through this kind of thing!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for bringing this thread to our attention, Cosmo. I'll get the technical editor responsible to look into these issues and update the errata page.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi all, just to let you know the errata page for this book will be updated with the following information from the author:

"Sadly, despite this plugin being written by David (The Man Himself) it
    has been deprecated since being included in the book. It's still
    available though, but at a different URL. The plugin installation
    command should now be issued as follows:

ruby script/plugin install http://svn.rubyonrails.org/rails/plu...s_as_taggable/ "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what version of rails are u running?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember everyone the book's examples are written for Rails 1.2, which was the current version at the time of writing.