User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

History timeline how-to

Dears,

My client current website contains something like this (see .png attachment). It is a history time-line where the user click on a date to see the event that happened in that date.

The existing website is static ie there is an html file for each date such as 1990.html and 2000.html and timeline.html being the file that contains the imagemap.

I have transfered all these events to a database (table) for dynamic generation.

My question is what is best way to tackle this issue. How can I display the history timeline in a different way than these date boxes and still show it is a timeline?

Have anyone seen something like this? I appreciate any info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I am understanding what you're trying to say, then let me start off with stating that databases and page styling are two completely different subjects; databases are just that; they store data (and 9 times out of 10 they ideally need more than just one central table to be used (what's called a relational database)). Whereas, page styling is control by CSS.

In a nutshell, this is the process -

Data stored within the database gets called up by a page that includes a back-end language (PHP, ASP, .NET etc), which processes this data and outputs it into HTML, which can then be styled seperately using a CSS document.

I'll take a look at your screenshot in more detail when it's been approved, and then I can advise you further.

Hope this helps

James

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you said is good, waiting for your further comments.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you have works fine, but it's not too visually appealling. Functionally, though, you're okay.

For other examples, do a search on "timeline." You'll find loads of examples of how others handle this issue. Here's just one example: Met Museum of Art
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it may not be directly related to what you're doing, but if you'd like another example of history timelines, check out what SitePoint did with theirs:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/about

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys/Gals,

I found this from the BBC. This is exactly what I want. Is this something that is generated by a program or what?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interac...sh/index.shtml

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From where I'm sitting with my dialup connection, that appears to be a Flash-only page.