SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Large images. Scrolling. Your opinion?

I think we can all agree that horizontal scrolling is usually bad, and vertical scrolling is usually perfectly fine.

But what about when you're showing the large view of an image?

Here's how I usually handle it. Make sure that the width will fit in 800x600 browsers (usually 500px or so), and let the height stay proportional. It's worked great so far, since most images have been reasonably square.

But now I'm faced with a site that has a lot of tall skinny images. Most of them require scrolling when resized like that. I'm fine with some vertical scrolling in 800x600, but not so much for 1024x768.

Would you get irritated if you have to scroll to see the big picture? How would you guys attack this issue?

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, horizontal scrolling is very irritating and is pretty much enough for me to leave a site. In such case some kind of zooming mechanism would do the job perfectly, I think. Something like that of the browsers when you see a large image in a window; it displays it to fit the screen and gives you an option to zoom in.
    Saul

SitePoint Enthusiast Bullfrog245's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the user requests to see the larger image, such as clicking on a "see larger image" link, then I think horizontal scrolling is fine. If the image is on a landing page, then horizontal scrolling is not fine. Just my $0.02

EDIT:
    I see after re-reading your post that you were also concerned about scrolling vertically to see images. Personally, I don't mind vertical scrolling one bit. It's amazing how the wheel in the middle of the mouse has made everyone hate scrolling horizontally.
    Last edited by Bullfrog245; Jun 4, 2007 at 10:24. Reason: Additional Comment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want to use 800 X 600 as a baseline? Much of the web has gone 1024 X 768 or higher. Do your images sometimes appear tiny on higher resolutions?

On the scrolling: I also dislike horizontal scrolling because it makes me have to reach for my mouse or become creative with the "Tab" key. Up and down does it all. Yup. Yes. Whooo.
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear, it's the "see larger image link" images that I'm talking about. For an example see http://allenkentart.com/ and click the portrait image at the bottom.

Keep those opinions coming, I really appreciate the wider perspective you're giving me.

One of the reasons I'm concerned is that some of my sites are art related, and it's kind of hard to get a big picture view of an art piece if you can't see it all at once. Or else I'm being to critical.

Also, what's your opinions on using javascript to resize an image proportionally in the case of a smaller monitor? That way I could use really big images and just scale them down for the smaller screens. I've seen cases where resizing on the fly looks awful though, so maybe not...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the site is art related, I would want to see the big version, so I would go for vertical scrolling, that's usually not a problem. Firefox seems to automatically resize the images to fit the screen when I view images, and then gives you the option of viewing them at a bigger size, so for Firefox users, seeing the whole picture at once shouldn't be a problem.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, in IE6 the page is not rendering as intended. There is no menu at top of page and the right hand column is pushed down below the content of the of the left column ( probably an IE margin bug).
    Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by young72 View Post
    FYI, in IE6 the page is not rendering as intended. There is no menu at top of page and the right hand column is pushed down below the content of the of the left column ( probably an IE margin bug).
    Aw crap. It's like you can't even breathe on a site without SOMETHING breaking in IE6!

Thanks for the heads-up!

Edit: That was an easy fix. I was looking for my IE6 stylesheet in a directory that didn't exist.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that Allen Kart site, the portrait displays with a huge, worthless black border at the top. That real estate can be reclaimed. It's still probably too big to display without a scroll, but it's a start.

For myself, I understand that art pages and other big-graphics pages are just going to scroll. I think most people with any savvy understand the same. On multi-purpose or other such sites that don't focus on portraits and big graphical displays, big graphics that require scrolling become an annoyance. General observation...your mileage may vary.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like scrolling horizontally as you said but if you scroll to see a big images, there is nothing wrong with it. It's just a trend that started, I can understand why people would prefer something that fit to thier site but still, I'm ok with it