SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are people so picky?

Alright, so I'm doing a small favor for a friend, but unfortunately, he's extremely picky. I'm recreating his nav-menu to be fully fluid, equally proportioned and spaced, and to fit a minimum width of 550px. It also has to have a margin in between each nav button. Not as easy as I thought. I've done just about everything I can reasonably do so far. I've decreased the text size, used a 1px repeating background to stretch to fit, and even made the margins in between each button fluid. I've gotten pretty close to my goal, but not quite there. Here is the link to the menu:

http://www.stylehorizons.com/navmenu/index.html Edit: Keep in mind this is JUST the navigation menu, not the whole site.

I tried to suggest for them to change the "Marketplace" tab to just "Market", but this is how it has to be.

That page is in no way optimized for IE. Actually, you won't even be able to see it in IE. That's my next step.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice.
    Life would be so much easier if we
    could just look at the source code.
    -Dave Olson

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sure what your friend would want then, without even looking at the code, and using my onscreen ruler, each button is 84px wide and the space between each button is 14px ... looks pretty much evenly spaced to me....

Nadia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the button width is fluid with screen size, with a min-width of 84px for low resolutions and browsers that aren't full screen.

Is it possible at all to resize text based on the width of the parent container?
    -Dave Olson

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia P View Post
    and using my onscreen ruler
    Hi Nadia P. What are you using to get an on screen ruler?
    Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    young, I'm not sure what Nadia uses, but I use a Firefox extension called MeasureIt.

I've also got one more small problem. It's the usual IE versus all other browsers issue. In Firefox, the nav menu displays correctly, each <li> inline with each other. In IE6 it's displaying vertically, as though display:inline isn't having an effect. I remember reading somewhere on how to fix or prevent this, but I just can't seem to find it. The link to the page is in the first post.

Again, thank you in advance.
    -Dave Olson

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use screen calipers
    http://iconico.com/caliper/

RE your page - on re-sizing the text, marketplace extends out of the coloured area.

You think your friend is picky?
    A friend of mine had a client who used his entire maintenance budget fine tuning the colours etc on a single page. He als had some images of cars with for sale signs, reflections and people standing nearby. My friend removed all these distractions, and then he complained that the bottom of the tyres had a flat edge - it was a b&#37;&&*y car standing on the ground, what shape should they be?!!

He fine tuned a shade of blue so much that the only way normal people could tell the last two versions apart was by page number - I seem to remember there was one digit in the hex value that was different by a couple of points - like #123456 vs #123457 or something. On a 10 pixel high "curved" button image, he had her change the colour of the bottom ONE pixel high line about ten times!

And all the time we were telling him "but different people have their monitors set different ways, no two people will see the exact same shades on screen" But he knew better...

Picky? He redefined the meaning of the word!

EDIT I have just discovered that Web Developers extension for firefox has a dragable ruler like MeasureIt mentioned above. That programmer thinks of everything!
    Of course Screen Calipers can be used to measure differences in the display in different browsers.