SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

attendance system

i am trying to make an attendanc system for a college which has around 500 students...
    daily attendance...

my first problem is logic..

what to do
    either record absent students and assume other present for each class or record P or absent for each student entering a unquie row in database for all 500 students each day....

what should i do...

the recording absent things seems to be easier but i want to record like who was present and went home earlier ..so i record only absent i will not have way to record students who went early

if i record all present 500 records a day...massive inserts....and after 2 years about 900000 records in database it may hit in performance and maintaince may be difficult

so what to do
    i even didnt found good college attendance script full fleged even to take idea or even hints...

i need to use calendar as well...

so any logic helps or links app helps
    thanks

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main question here will be how the attendance system will be used?

Will a person sit and manually input the data to each student? Will you use barcode scanner on a student id card?

In addition how will you record the students which leave early?

For adding 500 records a day, its not an issue at all. And after each semester you should move the records over to an history table to improve the performance.

So, first find out how the data will be entered, then you can decide on the best approach to solve the problem.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As TheRedDevil says, you need to find out how the attendance system will be used. But I think a good starting point would be to assume everyone as "present", and then allow users to mark students who are absent / leave early etc. That way (in theory), it will take the teacher less time. But this depends on the design of the system (i.e. automatic / manual input of data).

You might also wish to find out from the people using the system which types of mark you want on the system - perhaps you could break down absent into more specific categories, for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for answers...

first thing the all the record will be colleted in file (papers) by faculty members and at the end of the day it will be entered in to system
    so will be manual

ya inserting rows for each students seems to be sensible with
    user_id,date,status(P or A or L) and remarks ...if left early...
    so this seems to be sensible

by the way Mr ntstudios what do we mean by assuming all present..
    what i am trying to is suppose for a class for a date display allstudents

student1 Present/absent/leave (drop down) present by default
    student2 Present/absent/leave (drop down) present by default
    ....so on
    enter attendance for this class for this say...

what about this...
    by the way i need to make good use of calender here i guess

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If each teacher need to enter the information for their class, you will set the system up in such a way, that when the teacher logs in he/she will see their classes, when a class i clicked on they will see the students, finally they mark which of the students that are not there or left early and submit the data.

You should also have a note field where the teacher can enter a reason why the student was not there (if it was for a specific reason, it would be nice to have it in the records)

Doing it this way, the teacher only have to mark the students which were not there, instead of manually entering all the students.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well it is similar to what i havw thought...
    now it will displayed in a tabular form...
    first thing is i am having problem displayed a holiday..
    if a holiday is entered for a date ..the column should display it and no attendance should be entered to it....
    thanks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope the following can help, even if not quite the solution you need, it is reasonably close for you to use as a base:

TeamCalPro (free script)
    www.lewe.com

Good luck,

- Vince

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frank1 View Post
    well it is similar to what i havw thought...
    now it will displayed in a tabular form...
    first thing is i am having problem displayed a holiday..
    if a holiday is entered for a date ..the column should display it and no attendance should be entered to it....
    thanks
    You know, a large percentage of programming comes from knowing what you want to do, and problem solving it. The other small percentage comes from knowing the apis you are using well enough to make them do what you want.

You just told us exactly what you want to do, what do you want from us? To restate it step by step so you can just write the actual code? Thats not how programming is done, and i definitely dont think thats what these forums are for.

THINK DUDE!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoomagic View Post
    You know, a large percentage of programming comes from knowing what you want to do, and problem solving it. The other small percentage comes from knowing the apis you are using well enough to make them do what you want.

You just told us exactly what you want to do, what do you want from us? To restate it step by step so you can just write the actual code? Thats not how programming is done, and i definitely dont think thats what these forums are for.

THINK DUDE!!!

i donot expect you to write program...in any way ...
    after all if it was my intension i would have requested a script not a logic...

my fren the biggest thing in the world is logic....i want help in logic not the script itself..ok i have a logic in my mind..but i am not sure about if there are any better way to do it...or if any body has adopted similar logic and fallen in to some pitfalls later...
    so just was trying to get some help in logic or the logic to implement..from some experts....

I THOUGHT DUDE so didnt went straightly to code my script has came here to discuss the logic first rather than ...
    doing things rapidly ,with out taking any and lamenting later taking lots of time...

any way thanks for all other experts ,frens who did helped with their valuable comments..
    after all forum is mix of good and bad

never mind...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    calm ... calm ... (says he)

Hi,

Here's a idea, you keep asking about a calendar - why? Is the admin user really going to pick dates "Ok, today is Tuesday the 17th Feb, lets fill in the atttendance records for .... 19th July."

No.

They should be shown "today" and MAYBE yesterday - or can pick a named student and what retrospectively change someones attendance record?

I think not.

Why put effort into a calendar when half the days of the year arent school days?

I am not sure you dug N7 Studios point, unless its a real problem school, the default behaviour of the app should be "everyone is present except these people" - so the adminner has the least possible work to do - just "unclicks" the sickies (not to diparage absentees just a shorthand term)

Also, I would go and mock up the kinds of reports that superusers (the Decision Makers) will want from these records - really push them, show them mock printouts.

Do they for example want ...

worst attendance year
    worst attendance person
    longest attendance period (call it sickness period)
    are females off more than blokes or vice versa
    what was male attendance like during the world cup / world series

Show them something like that with spoof figures, then ask what else would be useful? And be prepared to shut up and listen, understand their business.

HTH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks it has added some thing to the initial logic...
    for the report part i think i would be better to introduce some fileds..
    any way that calendar is just basically for the consist attedance record..like for leap years ...for days of the week like sunday there is holiday ...
    so i thought calendar would help

ya my base logic is also "by default present and selecting absent ..may be with reason...by edit later"

any way i think i will be better start scripting now..
    thanks for suggestion

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suppose the point I am not making very well about dates is this: your daily Admin person probably shouldn't be allowed to pick dates - the ability to edit data from the past is probably a bad thing - and why would they need to go into the future?
    ["Billy Jones (student_id= 78) has broke his leg and is off for 12 weeks" - righto - well it'd be real useful if Admin could set student_78 = absent for 60 college days, that'd likely diminish errors]

Whereas you superuser will need to read only by dates, so I agree a calendar would be useful for them - they won't be allowed to edit anything.

Off Topic:

Do your students go to college on Sundays?

My point about what reports superusers really want is this, its not until you get them to think about, and tell you, exactly how they will want to slice and dice the data that you will know exactly what information to capture. The weather? Pollen counts?

Anyhow, I will leave you in peace now, and good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for concern and replies
    my students dont go to college on sunday

ya i will try not to allow the date entry..date will act only base....i hope the earlier data can be inserted like on 3rd june data of 5th june cannot be inserted but may 1st can be inserted as it is required some time..
    any way thanks