SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maintaining a large community.

My site isn't extremely large yet, but it is growing very quickly and over the next two years, because of the popularity of the topic, I expect it to grow much, much more.

This is the first community I've had success with and its hitting me very quickly. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I should be to keep the site running smoothly and avoid problems in the future.

1. How often should I backup my site. Should I use my control panels backup feature or Telnet.

2. I have a lot of images being posted into my forums. Will this cause a problem later on, or should I create an image directory seperate from the forums.

3. Everyone loves to customize their own signature, I don't have a problem with this because I really like them too. What restrictions should I put on them?

4. I have recently moved my site to a dedicated server, because of bandwidth. Is there anything I should do to maintain the server? I haven't had any problems yet and haven't even rebooted it before.

Thanks for your help. Any other useful information is appreciated.
    Ring Quest
    Lord of the Rings community portal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no definite answers here, but I'll do my best to give you my opinions.

1. Daily, at least! You should contact your host about this - you might also be able to setup a crontab your host control panel.

2. This won't cause a problem; it's main advantage is for organizational purposes. Once you have a lot of images, they can be easy to lose if they are scattered everywhere or in one big folder. The more folders the better, IMO. Just don't overdo it.

3. Typically length is the main restriction. Five-lines seems reasonable is what I use on my forums.

4. Not sure as I have always used shared, but if anything goes wrong, hope your host is there to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The support is supposed to be good. I just hope not to run into any problem. Thanks.
    Ring Quest
    Lord of the Rings community portal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely back up your site as often as possible. I work for a software development company and it amazes me how often we get tech support requests from people who haven't performed backups. You never know what could go wrong so having backups is of paramount importance.

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

money

I would recommend everything above, but also on a side note: make sure you have the money to stay around.

I have been a member of a couple of forums that ended up dying off since they ran out of money. Plan ahead so it doesn't become deperate at the last minute. I am not sure how well you are doing but think about it.

Best of Luck,
    Dan
    Dan's Site
    Some Current Sites:365 Puns! # Joke It! #
    Pride & Joy!
    Current Projects: ArcadeRat! # Scouting News # yW