SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purchase misleadingly advertised domains?

I'm looking to start a resource site on a particular topic, and I recently came across an auction right here on sitepoint for the .nu domain of the topic. The auction advertised itself as the only TLD of that topic name remaining, and given the chance, I went straight ahead and put in a bid (after a brief discussion with the seller, regarding expiry dates and all the usual).

Later I found out that there are quite a few TLDs of this topic name available, and I've managed to get my hands on one for $25 - my bid for this auction was more than twice that. To top it off, PayPal's not working and I'm seriously considering cancelling the transaction. Having put in the bid and won the auction (as the only bidder, too!) I don't want to disappoint the seller, but I really don't need the domain and it isn't what it was advertised as in the auction - the seller uses the phrase "The only domain name [topic name] does not hold." Should I go ahead with the transaction anyway, just to uphold my side of the deal?
    Last edited by Akash Mehta; Jun 3, 2007 at 00:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You made a deal to pay for the only tld for that name. You know without a doubt that will not be what you get. Is there any question left whether you should pay for it?

If you're really willing to pay for things you won't get then let me know. I've got lots of great stuff I can pretend to sell you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a tough one I agree - frst you really should have done your homework and checked out all the other TLD's and yes the seller should not have made false claims. I would contact the seller and explain what you have said above and see what they say. Both of you are at fault here and I think the best way is to talk it through before getting into disputes
    Regular user

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting ...

Well, I agree with Sarah here that you didn't do your proper homework, where it's a known thing that not everyone proposing a product in the net is as honest as they pretend.

But then, here the issue is the guy lied to you. He tried to cheat his potential customers. Like, I'm selling you a mercedes with a maruti engine inside. So, it was more his fault, as he lied knowing, and you believed him without knowing.

I understand your position, you are too honest to cheat yourself and to eat back your words, but here, well, I think you are not obliged, atleast morally, to go on with the affair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Sarah that you should talk to the guy and explain why you have a problem with the sale, as long as you haven't tried to send the money yet. If it's already about to go through then cancel the payment now, but you should still let him know why in a nice and professional manner.

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kigoobe View Post
    Like, I'm selling you a mercedes with a maruti engine inside..
    Are you an Indian
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't sent the money yet because PayPal's broken, and I don't think the seller's trying to cheat me or anything, he just might not have done his research himself. From our correspondence he seems like a nice guy, and I don't want to disappoint him (yes, morals in net business - here's a first).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I eventually cancelled the transaction, PMing the seller about obtaining the other domain and apologizing profusely for the false hope - he seemed to want to get rid of the domain.

I decided to pay for his auction costs (the sitepoint) credits just to make it up to him. Its not money I'm worried about, I just didn't have a use for the domain and didn't want to hang on to an extra name with yet another domain registrar (pushing it would have been an unnecessary expense).

For reference, here's my PM to the seller, might be useful to somebody else in a tricky situation like this:
    Hi [Seller Name],

Sorry for the delay in communication, I've been sorting out business with regard to this domain issue and unfortunately I've decided to cancel the deal. I've obtained a similar `[Topic Name]` TLD that was still available.

I apologize if this disappoints you, as I had previously assured you the availability of other `[Topic Name]` TLDs would not alter my decision to make the purchase. However, I felt that having placed the bid on the assumption the .nu was the only TLD still available, and now obtaining another TLD, there was little purpose in going ahead with the transaction.

I may start another resource site and find a use for the .nu domain; if so, I will let you know and if you still possess the domain we could resume the process. However, it is unlikely and I suggest you find another buyer or aim for a lower price point. Due to the inconvenience I have caused you, I would be happy to pay for the sitepoint credits used to start the auction. Let me know how much the marketplace listing cost you and I will send the amount through PayPal.

Once again, I apologise for terminating the transaction, especially after a delay in communication, however I'm sure you'll agree this resolution is appropriate, and as mentioned I would be happy to pay for your costs associated with the auction.

Regards,

Akash