SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copying data between different domain forms

I have an interesting situation and need help of experts on this forum to help solve this conundrum!!!

I want to copy form data from 1 form to other forms (the other forms are multipage forms and that too on different domains)

Is there a way to copy data using javascript/cookies, etc.?

If not what is the least intrusive way for end user to achieve the desired goal

Thanks
    AJ

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't do it. Cookies and javascript are both domain restricted. The users are going to have to transfer the data themselves somehow.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, Since Javascript/cookies option is out.

Which is the next easiest option that will be less end user intrusive - Browser extension, exe, etc.?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does this have to happen on the client side (why can't you copy the data to each place these forms are going on the back end)? Do you not control all these domains?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The forms are on different domains, different servers, different databases. Let me give a example, suppose I want to copy my credit card information from 1 form to a random site where I am shopping.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teens_us View Post
    The forms are on different domains, different servers, different databases. Let me give a example, suppose I want to copy my credit card information from 1 form to a random site where I am shopping.
    You would never want to do that, since it poses too much of a security risk. Anyone could sit down at your computer and either use your number, or steal it and leave. And I wouldn't want the liability of being the developer that made the software that led to people's cards being stolen.

If you really meant to say less risky information like name and address.. there are a bazillion browser extensions for filling in those fields automatically.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan I am talking about less risky information. You talk about browsers extensions that can do this job?

Can you recommend a popular one / open source one which I can modify to suit my needs?

Can ActiveX controls / Frames be used to copy less risky data from 1 form to other form?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any ideas !!!

Can you recommend a popular / open source browser extension which I can modify to suit my needs?

Can ActiveX controls / Frames be used to copy data from 1 form to other form?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is any way to do this without programming an extension yourself. I've never heard of anyone trying to do this before. The easiest way? Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of what the autocomplete feature of browsers is for.

Here are a few Firefox extensions that help with this:
    Autofill Forms
    Formfiller
    iMacros for Firefox
    fireform
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a program ("had" because I do not know where it is now?).
    The program runs minimized.
    Each time I made a copy (ctrl c) of a text, the program grasped it and put it into an accumulator.
    After some time having collected some text, it was possible to put the textaccumulators content (ctrl v) to any other text place on any screen.

This is only a solution to a related problem, hoping that other ideas can come up.
    Last edited by erik8085; Jun 6, 2007 at 08:24. Reason: word errors

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experts I need your views, Please help.

Browser extension is not a workable solution due to some restrictions on my side.

Can I solve the problem using these 2 options

1. Active X control, which runs in my browser window but will help fill forms from other websites.

2. Can there be a EXE which runs in my browser window but will help fill forms from other websites.

Please respond with alternative solutions if you have any