Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is Rails ready ???

Hello,
    I have to develop an application for pharmaceutic industry and I was thinking to use J2EE for that but 2 days ago I "discovered" Ruby on Rails and right now I'm evaluating to switch and to use RoR but I'm afraid if this technology is mature enough for enterprise applications not just for web sites.

So I would like to know which kind of application you are developing with RoR and what you think about it.

Thank you so much

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody wanna share his Rails experience ????
    Alla prossima ...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2 View Post
    Muahahahahhahaha

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2 View Post
    Could you explain me why ???

THANK YOU
    Alla prossima ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What are you planning on building? Rails can and run some pretty powerful/popular sites and apps, but unless you go into more detail on what you're doing it's hard to know whether or not Rails is the best fit for you.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    ... but unless you go into more detail on what you're doing it's hard to know whether or not Rails is the best fit for you.
    I'm developing an application that support finish products life-cycle for pharmaceutical industry. Users shall manage the warehouse (load, download, move batches), they shall define analysis specifications and insert analysis results, they shall input several IDs (for the products, the customers, the suppliers ...), they shall validate all of these staff, they shall input and print some document and they shall have some reports about what has been done with the application. The application shall have a role based authentication and authorization system.

This is pretty much my application.

Please don't answer just RoR is ready or not but explain me why.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH
    Alla prossima ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

Let's take your requirements one by one and address them...

- workflow: you can do worflows with controller is you wish or use gems like rbpm (lightweight (jbpm-like) workflow framework) to help you do it.
    - inputting and printing documents... web forms with ajax for certain lookup and validations... there is alot that comes bundled in with Rails (and rails plugins and rails engines)
    - role based authentication and authorization system: I got my own engine designed to do that... it handles user based authentication with role based authorization (down to the filtering of the data). I'm still struggling on how to publish it but I'd be more than happy to share with up (that'd be one more step in the publishing direction).

RoR is a piece of it but Ruby also has this thing called Gems (RoR are actually gems themselves...) The list of them is quite impressive and goes from workflow, to AI to PDF to lots of things... they might help in figuring out what to do.

My experience so far with them is that you usually cut the work required to do the job quite a bit and the code reflects more the business requirements that what's needed to make the framework work.

Best advice I could give... do a spike... try it for a week on a piece of your project... if the project is as important as it seems a week to determine the right technology will be a week well spent
    Jean-Marc (aka Myrdhrin)
    M2i3 - blog - Protect your privacy with Zliki

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello myrdhrin !

Thanks for your post.
    In your description RoR looks like ready for enterprise application.
    Which kind of application have you developed with RoR ??? I mean fancy communities or something more "enterprise" ???

Since I'm a newbie I guess I need more than a (or 2) week(s) in order to make a piece of my project. Moreover this project will take several years so right now I don't know all the requirement I'm gonna develop in the future and I don't want to start with a technology and after several time to change it because it doesn't support the new requirements.

Thank you once again !
    Alla prossima ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    macsig

I have done two major project right now in RoR (one currently under progress).

The first one was an online shop for stock pictures with an integration to search partner databases providing a unified view of the search result (along with lightboxes, negociations, etc.). The project had the management for the orders, delivery of the CDs, invoicing. Got bit hard on that project has the company filled bankrupcy before paying the complete site but it was there, running smooth.

The second one is an online chat system with user profiles and multiple views on the conversations (i.e. forum, group, individual, offline)... this one is in progress but so far I have hit no problems that RoR would not handle. What really gets me going is the Javascript integration (Ajax and RJS) which allows the webclient to be more dynamic.

So far, I have not seen a single thing that Java did that I could not do in Ruby (not even counting Rails here) and the learning curve is not that steep (or maybe I was just ready to jump in it).

Anyway good luck on your project and if you need to reach me... well don't hesitate to send a PM
    Jean-Marc (aka Myrdhrin)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myrdhrin View Post
    macsig
    Anyway good luck on your project and if you need to reach me... well don't hesitate to send a PM
    Hello myrdhrin,
    thank you for your "resume" and your wish.
    I really wanna use RoR because I think with it I can save a lot of time and make the application easier but I concern about its maturity.

Have a nice afternoon !
    Alla prossima ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Apologies for hi-jacking, but I am looking into learning Ruby, however I'm weighing up the language and it's current status/current issues. The ones that I've read about is performance.

Read about Twitters performance issues, but I'm not too fussed about that, the traffic that site would get would be 100-fold of the projects I'll be using Ruby for.

I'd like to ask you a few questions regarding your post.

macsig

I have done two major project right now in RoR (one currently under progress).

The first one was an online shop for stock pictures with an integration to search partner databases providing a unified view of the search result (along with lightboxes, negociations, etc.). The project had the management for the orders, delivery of the CDs, invoicing. Got bit hard on that project has the company filled bankrupcy before paying the complete site but it was there, running smooth.

The second one is an online chat system with user profiles and multiple views on the conversations (i.e. forum, group, individual, offline)... this one is in progress but so far I have hit no problems that RoR would not handle. What really gets me going is the Javascript integration (Ajax and RJS) which allows the webclient to be more dynamic.
    Of the two sites you developed. How would you say, honestly, they are performing? how much traffic does your site handle?
    did you have to do any tweaks with your web server (software or hardware) to get it to perform well enough to a decent Serve community sized traffic like an average PHP site can handle?

Thanks in advance.

regards,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rvdavid View Post
    Hi,
    Read about Twitters performance issues, but I'm not too fussed about that, the traffic that site would get would be 100-fold of the projects I'll be using Ruby for.
    The twitter performance problem is a non-issue now. The problem was that the database couldn't handle the load so they needed multiple DBs, but rails could only connect to one.

However, one of the rails core contributors just released a gem that allows ruby to connect to multiple DBs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    macsig... how is it doing so far?

@rvdavid... I was handling 20-30 simultenaous request but it required database tweaking (making sure I had all the needed indexes) and I was using a dedicated server with Mongrel as the backend server and apache on the front (I was serving other application as well so I used apache to route the request to the right server)
    Jean-Marc (aka Myrdhrin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @rvdavid... I was handling 20-30 simultenaous request but it required database tweaking (making sure I had all the needed indexes) and I was using a dedicated server with Mongrel as the backend server and apache on the front (I was serving other application as well so I used apache to route the request to the right server)
    Thank you for the reply.

regards,

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say Rails is certainly mature enough but surely the issue here is: is it wise to implement any serious application in a language/framework that you only discovered 2 days ago? I'd get at least 6 months of experience on small/pet projects before I'd consider using it on a big project.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Redpath View Post
    is it wise to implement any serious application in a language/framework that you only discovered 2 days ago? I'd get at least 6 months of experience on small/pet projects before I'd consider using it on a big project.
    Thanks for you answer

I will start writing the code only this fall (now I'm in design phase) and I started already to learn Ruby (and Rails). Moreover in July I'm gonna take a 5 days training class so I guess I will be ready (even if I will need other time to improve my skills) to develop on RoR when I will start doing that.

Have a nice day!
    Alla prossima ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after some asked for the authorization engine I decided to be proud of myself and publish it in the m2i3authengine project on rubyforge.org

so comments are welcome and improvements too
    Jean-Marc (aka Myrdhrin)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after some asked for the authorization engine I decided to be proud of myself and publish it in the m2i3authengine project on rubyforge.org

so comments are welcome and improvements too

Thank you, I will take a look
    Alla prossima ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am JAVA Developer, but i think PHP is gonna soon be dead and future might be RUBY OR JAVA OR .NET
    I suggest everyone to upgrade to Windows Vista.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's depend, if you are looking to connect to legacy and multi database per transaction, then rail is not for you, j2EE is better at doing this kind of heavy lifting.

But if you just want to developed a web application as complex as facebook and scale, then rail is ready for that.
    1. Make Money Online Now Resource Center!
    2. Ask Blog Expert For Your Blogging Solution.
    3. Read Free Guide Make Money Online Now!
    4. Make Money Online Real Success!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kean_ View Post
    But if you just want to developed a web application as complex as facebook and scale, then rail is ready for that.
    Are you saying that Facebook is built upon Rails? I hadn't heard that.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creole View Post
    No, it's php to my knowledge. However, Rails can handle high traffic (i.e. twitter) just fine and in much the same manner as any popular PHP app.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by creole View Post
    No, I"m saying you can use rails to build complex application like facebook and still scale.

And I don't know what facebook is build on, it's look good and complex for me But I'm not surprise if most of the startup using rails to build their next killing social network site, it's happen already.
    1. Make Money Online Now Resource Center!
    2. Ask Blog Expert For Your Blogging Solution.
    3. Read Free Guide Make Money Online Now!
    4. Make Money Online Real Success!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biju...

If you're already skilled with Java, and are looking for a new language, I'd heartily recommend looking into ColdFusion. Adobe just released version 8 a scant few weeks ago and it's packed with RIA goodness. Plus, since it's built upon Java, your skills would be put to great use. You can actually write Java classes and use them from within ColdFusion even.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes