SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to effectively showcase a wide product range?

How would you effectively showcase a wide product range for a retailer?

Have your say

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Break them down by categories. It's basic organization, when you think about it. Amazon.com is a great example of category based product navigation (at least in my personal opinion).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, but the thing is; I'm working on a website for my dads company which I know inside out, but the products he's selling need a very specific description. It's an electrician service / product retailer / wholesale company with complicated products. This is not going to be an ecommerce site

One product example; Access control (door entry). In most of the cases it's assembled by a professional (either my dads company or someone else's) because it's "customized" for each building.
    It contains many modules like voltage converters, video cameras, speaker/mic, doorbell buttons and the indoor phone etc with 3 - 10 different modules for each

The point is to give information about the product without letting it be overwhelming for "normal" people but with enough information for professionals. And that's just one type of product. They also sell wall sockets and light switches (lacking a better word here) that are also a very wide product range which has the same problem above; Lot's of modules that professionals need to know about while the normal people want to think of it as a single unit.

I'm also wondering about the image : copywriting ratio.

edit: BTW, that's only two product types. They also sell lights, lightbulbs, lightbox displays (advertisement banners), wide range of hotel products (from soap to shower curtains), and I'm probably forgetting something... but you get the point.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then, try looking at some of your competititors' sites and see how they do it. I'd also look at some of the industry sites as well, along with the B2C sites too.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I did and I can't really say they give a good example. One thing I like is an interactive "designer" where you can choose your own colors etc on the material (from the manufacturers site). I'm trying to get the source code (flash) and permission to use it.

How ever one manufacturers site inspired me. I'll probably go for it and get a review from the review section.