SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Patrick Lenz (January 2007 edition - page 213) Ensuring Graceful Degradation question

I have been progressing very nicely through this book without resorting to downloading the archived files (I really want to learn this 'hands on').

The only hiccup that I have experienced up to this point may be the result of what I am using on my Winbook laptop (Windows XP Professional SP2 - Rails versions listed at the end of this post - Firefox 2.0.0.3).

As suggested in the text, I turned off Javascript after typing in the recommended modifications to the show.rhmtl file to accommodate any browser not enabling Javascript to be active while viewing web pages. I saw the following text when the page was redrawn:

try {
    Element.update("vote_score", "Score: 1");
    $("vote_score").visualEffect("highlight");
    } catch (e) { alert('RJS error:\n\n' + e.toString()); alert('Element.update(\"vote_score\", \"Score: 1\");\n$(\"vote_score\").visualEffect(\"highlight\");'); throw e }

I suspect that I have uncovered a possible version conflict (Rails and/or assorted components, browser version, etc.), or possibly a typo (I haven't experienced any typo errors up to this point - which is great because this is my first exposure to web application programming).

Any guidance or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Rails Info:

Ruby version 1.8.5 (i386-mswin32)
    RubyGems version 0.9.2
    Rails version 1.2.3
    Active Record version 1.15.3
    Action Pack version 1.13.3
    Action Web Service version 1.2.3
    Action Mailer version 1.3.3
    Active Support version 1.4.2
    Application root C:/CONDUC~1/rails_apps/shovell
    Environment development
    Database adapter mysql
    Database schema version 3

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am guilty of being an impatient American...I jumped the gun on the original post...if I had continued reading, I would have discovered that I needed to type in the respond_to block to be the 'switchboard'...since I have no prior programming experience, I reacted poorly to the temporary roadblock.

Mea cupla,

John