SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Just a few questions about using Flash

Hey,

I'm very new to flash, all I want it for is a few basic animations - at the moment - there are a few things that I'd like to ask you guys:

• How do you change the frame time? I know how to adjust the movie rate, but I'd like one frame to stay on screen for say, 5 seconds, while another for just 1 second.
    • How do you add a loading feature? For people with slower connections, how do I add 'Loading. . .' so it's not just a blank area?
    • How do you import images to the program? I made a cool image in photoshop, and when I pasted it in Flash, it was poor quality.

Thanks for your time and Kind regards,
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi David R,

Here are a few replies :

* You can just add a keyframe (press F6) on the last frame it has to be displayed.
    * You can use a preloader for that. I can't really explain it. Maybe you can find it in the helppages.
    * To import in Flash : File --> Import

Hope this helps you a little. When you're new to Flash, you should check out the Flashlessons. Help ---> Lessons.

Greetings,
    Droopy
    Visit my online portfolio : here

Web [ 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 ] /// Flash [ 1 - 2 - 3 ]
    Headers [ Collection ] /// Logo's [ Collection ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Wow, yeah that was help thanks!
    I'll check out the Lesson bit too.

Kind Regards,
    Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visit 3dcafe.com
    and designsbymark.com to learn to make great stuff with flash.
    ---------------
    In 3dcafe.com
    hit the free stuff section on the top of the page.
    And then tutorialz.

Good luck.

Greetz
    Don't blame me, I'm not perfect. giwdesign.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify...

1-You can't actually alter the frame rate of a movie as such... this is defined when in the movie properties in level 0. To make symbols appear on the stage for longer, just put in more frames so the sybbol remains on the stage. For instane, to get a sybol to stop on the stage for 5 seconds in a movie that was 10 frames a second, put in 50 frames...dead easy when you get the grasp of the timeline... but bear in mind complicated animation make take longer to render to screen than actually 5 seconds!

2-Yea, the loading thing gets kinda complicated if you want to detect how many bytes have been loaded...if you want to do a proper loader it's beyond the scope of this thread, but cheack out the Flash links post within the main Flash forum, and look for loader tutorials. It's not that complicated if the movie to be loaded on a layer is quite small. A simple way is to put a frame label in near the last frame in the last scene of the movie. Then stick in a 'movie clip' on the stage that loops...a bit of animation, with 'loading' would do. Then put in a simple frame action that see's if the frame label is loaded, if not it goes back to the first frame of the movie clip on the stage...if it has loaded, it goes to the next scene, which would be your transition into the main site. Check out the Flash help on simple Actionscript.

3-I certainly wouldn't copy and paste an image if that is what you did. If you are using Flash 5, save it out of Photoshop as a Tif (RGB, 72dpi, no LZW compression), if you are using Flash below v5, save it out as a very high quality (compression 10-retain as much quality as possible, RGB, 72dpi) JPEG. For easyness, let Flash compress the images on creation of the swf file. If you want to get really picky, compress your images as JPEGs or PNGs outside Flash (recommend the save for web in Photoshop), import the image into Flash. When the bitmap file is in the library, double click on it, and use files compression rather than the default swf export compression. This way you can make sure that every image is optimised, rather than using one setting for all the images.

Hope these tips help, there is loads of tutorials avaiable on the net...look in the post re links in this Flash forum to learn loads!!
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Thanks jonnya

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there are ways to pause a movie without adding keyframes (adding keyframes will add to file size). you can do it with actionscript. i can't quite remember how but try the tutorials on flashkit, i think i've seen it in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is a script i've used to pause a timeline. sorry took me a while to find.

start = getTimer();
    while (start+3000>now) {
    now = getTimer();
    }
    gotoAndPlay (whatever);