SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37
  1. #26
    SitePoint Zealot Mitochondrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Wow this post smacks of jingoism or some other kind of ism.

    And if you started web design in your early 20s and haven't moved up to some non-grunt-designer/developer role by your early 30s then something in your career went wrong. With 10 years' experience you should be a lead designer/dev or in management or running your own business.
    Oh no...I graduated in 1999, got a job as a corporate website designer and left the industry in 2002 and that was the end of it. Therefore, I have 3 years of experience with my last work for a corporate client being delivered in 2002. I did what I did not because I couldn't succeed but because I felt the career wasn't worth it and the industry wasn't a good place for me to work despite all the hype. It is fortunate I realized that at the age of 30, not 46 like the author of this thread.

    I understood there's a huge difference between being an artist and working for some design agency. I didn't like the agencies, didn't like the job interviews, didn't like the people. My web design "career" was like Office Space the movie. I think I experienced the same kind of a career burnout as the protagonist of that movie.


    I can imagine, in the future, doing pro web design only once in a while, only when I'm in the mood but 40 hrs/week-I can't take it.

  2. #27
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just turned 40 and I'm going the other way....I worked for 8 or 9 years in the oil business and after the company sold, I returned to University to get my CS degree. I'm now looking to get into full time web development because I believe there will always be a need for talented programmers, plus I love to think I'm actually a designer...lol.

    In regards to finding another career, I used a couple of books to help me find an industry that really appeals to me and they are:
    What color is your parachute (ISBN 1580087949) and
    Zen and the art of making a living (ISBN 0140195998)

  3. #28
    SitePoint Zealot Mitochondrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Remium View Post
    I just turned 40 and I'm going the other way....I worked for 8 or 9 years in the oil business and after the company sold, I returned to University to get my CS degree. I'm now looking to get into full time web development because I believe there will always be a need for talented programmers, plus I love to think I'm actually a designer...lol.

    In regards to finding another career, I used a couple of books to help me find an industry that really appeals to me and they are:
    What color is your parachute (ISBN 1580087949) and
    Zen and the art of making a living (ISBN 0140195998)
    Remium, you are a different case because you're hardcore programming. I have a a couple of C++ database programmer buddies who have illustrious careers but they're database programmers, not Flash designers. One programs for a defense contractor. Of the few Flash designers I know a couple guys attempted to salvage their careers by getting part-time teaching positions without benefits but otherwise they're in the same place they had been 10 years ago. One started a design company nobody cares about. At the same time my carpenter buddy who's dumb as a doorknob has a gorgeous young wife, makes six grand a month installing siding on homes, has steady employment and things are only getting better for him. He doesn't have to kiss butt begging for work either.

    When I was in the IM program I had just one C++ class, extremely basic, and then mostly Macromedia Lingo scripting, JavaScript, HTML, Flash, Photoshop, etc. I had a lot of fun but it wasn't a practical degree in my opinion. There are just too many people out there who want to make a living sitting on their big arses and eating all day and painting pictures in Photoshop. The economy couldn't find work for all of those people even in the late 1990s, before outsourcing really starting pressing us.

    Good luck Remium and thanks for sharing your experience.

  4. #29
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitochondrion View Post
    Remium, you are a different case because you're hardcore programming. I have a a couple of C++ database programmer buddies who have illustrious careers but they're database programmers, not Flash designers. One programs for a defense contractor. Of the few Flash designers I know a couple guys attempted to salvage their careers by getting part-time teaching positions without benefits but otherwise they're in the same place they had been 10 years ago. One started a design company nobody cares about. At the same time my carpenter buddy who's dumb as a doorknob has a gorgeous young wife, makes six grand a month installing siding on homes, has steady employment and things are only getting better for him. He doesn't have to kiss butt begging for work either.

    When I was in the IM program I had just one C++ class, extremely basic, and then mostly Macromedia Lingo scripting, JavaScript, HTML, Flash, Photoshop, etc. I had a lot of fun but it wasn't a practical degree in my opinion. There are just too many people out there who want to make a living sitting on their big arses and eating all day and painting pictures in Photoshop. The economy couldn't find work for all of those people even in the late 1990s, before outsourcing really starting pressing us.

    Good luck Remium and thanks for sharing your experience.
    Yeah I guess the point of my post was more to give you those resources that I found helpful in finding a new career. My hope was that they would help you also.

    Anyways, good luck in your journey.

  5. #30
    SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,369
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    It's A Miracle!

    Hello,

    My life had taken a wonderful turn of events since I first posted this thread.
    My employer is keeping me! Yes, you read right; they are keeping me!

    When they first decided to not renew my contract some people were up in arms. These people came to my defense realizing how much hard work I had put into the design of the website. Others had it out for me I guess.

    After writing my letter protesting the non-renewal contact it was immediately rejected. I was sent a letter that my contract would NOT be renewed. Others came to my defense saying I should NOT be let go; that hey need me. Still the boss did not want to discuss it. I would not be hired.

    So after experiencing all my emotions of anger and hurt I decided its best not to burn this bridge. I would stay on board and just give a hand shake and leave peacefully. I did not want to burn this bridge. It was too important. Besides, you never know what doors would open in the future with them.

    I worked hard and with a good attitude. I let people know that I was not going to leave angry. So I let it be. I was about to make this my last week. Suddenly I got a call to the office.

    Then the website went live. I got many rave reviews. I got a call to this office. They asked me if I got a job yet. I said not yet. They said there is a new job opening soon that suggested I apply for it. They would hire me and I would come back and work for them! They were going to re-hire me back! I said sure! But it gets better.

    I am called a few days later. They talked to HR. They said it makes no sense for me to leave and come back. They said I should just stay on. This way I keep my sick days and it gets carried over to the new contract year!

    I heard this has never happened before! My boss made a complete turn around. Not only did others come to my defense, but they saw the good work I did! They also saw that I kept a good attitude.

    I am staying!

  6. #31
    SitePoint Wizard samsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    5,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, and you are down to just one text decoration too, the good news just keeps coming.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

  7. #32
    SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,369
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm View Post
    Hey, and you are down to just one text decoration too, the good news just keeps coming.
    Ummm like what is that supposed to mean?

  8. #33
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    429
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are "keeping" you! Cool

    I'm very glad that you are happy

    I do hope for you that this happiness thanks to the people who "keep" you will last a long long time and that you will not come back and post a similar thread in the near future ...

    All the best

  9. #34
    SitePoint Wizard samsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    5,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Designer View Post
    Ummm like what is that supposed to mean?
    Your first post painted yourself in dire straights, and used bold, italics, red, and underline, not to mention gratuitous capitalization, punctuation, and smilies.

    Your next post depicted your salvation and included only boldface text decoration as well as reasonable use of capitalization and smilies.

    COINCIDENCE????
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

  10. #35
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on keeping/getting your job. Your attitude was great and I'm sure it was a little difficult to be treated so harshly but looks like it paid off in the end. If I were in your shoes, I might actually push for a raise before accepting the position.....after all, they were pretty crass about letting you go, getting you back might have to cost them something.

    However, I realize that having a job is much better than looking for a job.

  11. #36
    SitePoint Member fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Another Designer
    web application & flash dev
    you can post you outsourcing projects to Asia,save your IT cost.
    E-mail/MSN/AIM:socofield@126.com

  12. #37
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Designer View Post
    Well another contract is NOT being renewed. This leaves only one alternative. It's time for me to get out of this field; flash designing. Sure I have some talent, but none of the jobs last. At my age I can't keep going from job after job after job after job after job after job after job. IT'S TIME TO CALL IT QUITS!

    Any ideas for a new career for a 46 year old with a family?
    ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thanks

    PS: this is not a search for pity. just a vent and a quest for some answers at least.
    Learn to make money online automated like I do. I have a myspace resource site that makes me almost $1000 a day all automated. Learn Ajax and ruby on rails as well as use d1gg and craigslist to promote your website and services.
    Last edited by r937; Jul 8, 2007 at 22:43. Reason: removed religious reference
    Official internet b-baller. Myspace layouts
    Official TechChrunch top 10 poster
    Web 2.0 compliant WWWC validator.
    Ajax guru and lead member of the Forumers Alliance.
    SQL DD php myadmin xmlshtml guru Member of the Knights of the Long Tail


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •