Thread: Psychic

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm View Post
    http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/browne.html

"Sylvia Browne would like people to believe she has the psychic ability to communicate with the dead and to diagnose their ailments. She has broken three promises made on international television to take the JREF One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge. More than two years have passed since her first promise."
    Of course. Those kinds of things get always just glossed over by the gullible
    Why would it be any different with her or any other of her ilk? Past - Present - Future.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try reading the whole thing. Sounds like most of the terms were agreed to, but not all. I hardly call that a broken promise on her part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I can say I do believe in paranormal, psychics ect - people have to respect other peoples beliefs.

Now on the other hand, 'magic' I do not believe in, the main reason being is because nobody has ever done a magic trick on me before, or have I seen one. Well, I've seen them pennys ones where you get from the local paper shop!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Try reading the whole thing. Sounds like most of the terms were agreed to, but not all. I hardly call that a broken promise on her part.
    The last correspondence referenced in that article was her refusing a letter that provided proof of the funds. This was on May 22nd of 2003. In addition to the letter, her office was emailed, faxed, and phone called in attempts to provide the proof she desired.

If Sylvia Browne had psychic powers, this challenge would be no big deal ... little different from her television appearances or 20 minute phone calls that any of us could get for $750. She's already agreed to the terms of the test itself.

It would be like you or I proving we know the basics of html for 1000% our usual rate.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Here's what I honestly believe...

I think we do have a sixth sense that's under-developed. No, I'm not talking about any para-normal stuff.

I think we're supposed to have that same sense to detect electrical signals that some other animals have... but I think for most of us it's under-developed.

You know that there are fish like the Elephant Nose and Electric Eels that use their electric organs to sort of echo-locate food buried in the sand or otherwise hidden??

You know that pit snakes and dogs are believed to have the ability to detect the electricity of muscle contractions of nearby animals ??

I think we have some lingering ability to do this but it's not very sharp so we interpret it as "a weird feeling in the gut".

Sort of like when you're walking down the street and you sometimes feel a vibe that someone is behind you.
    I know a few people who claim that they have experienced something like this...namely that they've started singing, and then walked into someone elses room only to find that song on the radio. I think there could be 3 explanations:
    1) Coincidence
    2) Hearing it at a low level subconsciously
    3) My favourite theory...we subconsciously learn to associate radiowaves that we pick up with certain songs, and this triggers us to start singing them.

Probably 1 but I'd love it to be 3!
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalreturns
    I know a few people who claim that they have experienced something like this...namely that they've started singing, and then walked into someone elses room only to find that song on the radio. I think there could be 3 explanations:
    1) Coincidence
    2) Hearing it at a low level subconsciously
    3) My favourite theory...we subconsciously learn to associate radiowaves that we pick up with certain songs, and this triggers us to start singing them.

Probably 1 but I'd love it to be 3!
    What ??

No no no... that's not what I meant at all.

Okay okay... another example.

Sharks have a sixth sense. No nothing paranromal. They have little holes called electroreceptors around the sides of their heads.

So do platypi.

Anyways... my hair-brained theory is that seeing that every living thing on the planet evolved from similar roots, then perhaps we have some lingering electroreption ability. The same way that whales have those lingering finger bones in their flippers.

It's hard to descibe this without sounding like some looney person. I can just imagine Datura reading this and shaking her head.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Shaun, Datura is not shaking her head. I think you are really onto something with the possibility of sensing electric fields, certain currents, even radio waves. One can experience this in thunderstorms, when weather systems approach. But that is a physiological manifestation, not belonging into the realm of mysticism.

It is very different from reading tea leaves and speaking a few minutes on the phone and predicting what your future will hold. Those have nothing to do with each other, and you know it. You should not confuse these very different issues and mix them as if they were one, to give validity to the thing that has non.

That is the tool a mystic uses to deceive himself, to convince himself, a false proof based in a stolen premise.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well electroreception aside...

I'm still going to adopt the on-the-fence approach to the mysticism (certain things like ESP. I'll take a pass on the tea-leaves).

Perhaps they only seem mystical because we can't explain them yet. Again, there's nothing to prove it nor dis-prove it so I cannot decide. The rules of science (by which I like to abide) tell me that I'm not allowed to dismiss the possibility.

The b*stards who trick people. Who swindle relatives that've lost a loved one. Those who do con jobs on the weak-minded. These guys I consider to be a separate issue altogether.

These guys are just after money or fame. All of them. This has nothing to do with science or ability.

If anyone in this thread tells me that they think Ms. Cleo, Benny Hinn, or any other worthless psychic friend is real I will personally fly over to your country and hit you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a free psychic reading for you all. I have spent ages studying you with my psychic powers and now I am ready to reveal the real you. Please consider which of the following statements are true about yourself.
    • You like other people to like you and admire you, and yet you tend to be critical of yourself.

• Although you have some small personality weaknesses you are generally able to compensate for them.

• You know that you have considerable unused capacity that you have not turned to your advantage.

• While you are disciplined and self-controlled on the outside, you tend to worry and feel insecure on the inside at times.

• Sometimes you have serious doubts as to whether you have made the right decision or done the right thing.

• You prefer a certain amount of change and variety in your life and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations.

• You take pride in the fact that you are an independent thinker; and do not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof.

• You have found it unwise to be too frank in revealing yourself to others until you feel you can trust them.

• Sometimes you are extroverted, affable, and sociable, while at other times you are introverted, wary, and reserved.

• From time to time you realise that some of your aspirations tend to be rather unrealistic.

How do I know so much about you; the truth is I don't know anything about you, but this is the sort of garbage that so called "psychics" use to to convince people that they are genuine and are tuned into their inner thoughts.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Of course. Predictions always sound just like that, because every person has issues of this sort and therefore has to agree. The structure is clever, mass movements of the mystic kind depend on this kind of manipulation. The gullible just gloss over that and take it as a revelation of some kind.

Love it Chris
    Ulrike

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it depends really.. ive heard reallly spooky stories however i dont believe it but.... if someone told me something about someone who had died and only i knew that one thing they said then i would definitely be impressed if not amazed by that. I dont agree with the whole commercial side of it.

There is another side to it, sometimes its what some ppl need to deal with a death or a way of coping with the idea that there is something more after dying. If it gets them through then i dont see harm in it, we all need something like that afterall.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not need stuff like that
    Ulrike

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all comments were appreciated. we have our own beliefs in life. But for me its still "us" who will do our destiny...

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically, the downfall of astrology is that it genuinely tries to be scientific. It is structured, and promises predictable outcomes which can be tested. E.G. People born at a certain time will have a higher than average chance of having a certain personality type.

Fortunately this type of thing is very easy to test. For example, people whose star signs make them ambitious and driven should be more strongly represented in top career positions, and star signs associated with caring and empathy should be over-represented in caring professions.

Unfortunately for astrologers, studies do not bear this out. I recall some surveys done while I was at university that showed how star signs are evenly distributed across all professions. There are plenty of published studies that show the same thing (eg http://www.astrology-and-science.com).

There are many simple ways to test different aspects of astrology and they all come to the same conclusion: It has nothing.

Psychics are harder to test because they tend to have built-in escape clauses, e.g. "Psychic ability can't be tested by science". That's rubbish of course - science in this case is simply observation that can't effect the outcome - but you can't convince the true believers of that.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indivisible from magic.

Try taking a ball-point pen, or a cigarette lighter, back in time to the middle-ages, and see how long it takes you to get burned at the stake

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothercake View Post
    Try taking a ball-point pen, or a cigarette lighter, back in time to the middle-ages, and see how long it takes you to get burned at the stake
    assuming this were possible, there is as much accuracy in this prediction (postdiction?) as there is in any of the other claims in this thread

you cannot "go back in time" and still be on earth -- the universe exists in 4 dimensions, and you cannot change just one of them while keeping the other three fixed

if you go back in time to the middle ages, you just might find yourself in the vicinity of aldebaran

and they've had ballpoints and lighters for ages

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura
    I do not need stuff like that

Trust me... mizwizzy has some very contrary views about most things so I'd imagine she (and anyone else who thinks like her) would.

There's nothing wrong with that, by the way, it's just different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy View Post
    it depends really.. ive heard reallly spooky stories however i dont believe it but.... if someone told me something about someone who had died and only i knew that one thing they said then i would definitely be impressed if not amazed by that. I dont agree with the whole commercial side of it.

There is another side to it, sometimes its what some ppl need to deal with a death or a way of coping with the idea that there is something more after dying. If it gets them through then i dont see harm in it, we all need something like that afterall.
    The trouble is mizwizzy when people are trying to deal with the death of a loved one they are incredibly vulnerable. It is at times like this that they can become prey to unscrupulous people who are usually, but not always looking for financial gain; often they look to exert spiritual leverage. Incidentally one of the best "tools" that these people have at their disposal is what is called "Shotgun". They talk to someone who is recently bereaved about all sorts of disparate things and events until they recognise that they have pushed the right "button" thereafter they home in on that one thing, coming at it from various angles until they alight upon the one thing that the bereaved is convinced that only they know. It is very hard to explain without going into a great deal of detail, but for years I have used a hoax "mind reading" demonstration which is based on observation to open Sales Training Seminars and afterwards people have begged me to tell them how I found out about their "Secret".
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have done this kind of manipulation as well. I talked to collectors of my work, casually, found out a lot about them, incorporated those elements in some pictures, and they thought that this was pure coincidence.

All it really takes is paying attention, guiding the questions in a certain way…
    Ulrike

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    you cannot "go back in time" and still be on earth -- the universe exists in 4 dimensions, and you cannot change just one of them while keeping the other three fixed
    Well, the universe exists in at least four dimensions, and possibly more than twenty, and the interelationship of these dimensions remains largely unknown. But relativity tells us that as you approach the speed of light, time slows down, so if you're travelling at the speed of light, time doesn't exist at all. So as far as I understand it, this means that time travel is indeed possible, at least in theory, because time itself is relative.

But that's by the by

My point was - "magic" does exist, we have it now - today's technology would seem like magic to someone living a thousand years ago. (Maybe Merlin was a time traveller, and the sword in the stone was embedded in a super-powerful electro-magnet, that he simply switched off when Arthur came close ) And perhaps the technology of a thousand years in the future would seem like magic to us now.

The perception of something as magic is just a relationship to a point of understanding -- http://www.brothercake.com/site/reso...e/harrypotter/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology may initially appear like magic, but ...

1. Real technology works consistently, a ball point pen writes even when someone who doesn't believe is holding it.
    2. Advanced technology grows from more simple technology. A lighter is ultimately a canister of flammable liquid with a flint.

Psychic powers fail these tests. They disappear when they are examined closely, and they have no simple predecessors like the fountain pen or banging two rocks together.

The "what would the cave men think of my iPod" scenario is a bit ridiculous because it would actually require time travel magic for that situation to be realized. The serfs aren't burning you at the stake because you showed off your electric razor, they are burning you because YOU TRAVELED THROUGH TIME. And they should burn you, you evil demon witch.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyme View Post
    The trouble is mizwizzy when people are trying to deal with the death of a loved one they are incredibly vulnerable. It is at times like this that they can become prey to unscrupulous people who are usually, but not always looking for financial gain; often they look to exert spiritual leverage. Incidentally one of the best "tools" that these people have at their disposal is what is called "Shotgun". They talk to someone who is recently bereaved about all sorts of disparate things and events until they recognise that they have pushed the right "button" thereafter they home in on that one thing, coming at it from various angles until they alight upon the one thing that the bereaved is convinced that only they know. It is very hard to explain without going into a great deal of detail, but for years I have used a hoax "mind reading" demonstration which is based on observation to open Sales Training Seminars and afterwards people have begged me to tell them how I found out about their "Secret".
    thats interesting mobyme, i am pretty skeptical most times but there is part of me yes that can believe almost anything someone tells me lol i do have a gullible side.. but yes vulnerbility is a key factor and some ppl will take advantage of that, ppl can be cruel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha ha ... very nice discussion going on here ... and seeing that, I remember our old neanderthalean bigfoot debate !!!

Ok, so the question is - Who among here believes in psychic, astrology or interested with it.

Let me take an example of another example. Who among here believes that man can make a box that can fly in the sky taking hundreds of others inside.

Now if this question is getting asked in the world we live in, we will probably tell - hey! what a question ... the guy has gone mad if he is serious.

Now let's change the scenario. Let's say the same question was posed by someone in those Indonesean jungles where men still survive on human flesh. The reaction will be same - hey! what a question ... the guy has gone mad if he is serious., but the perception of people around will be just opposite, compared to the earlier case.

Or, let's go back a thousand years. Let's ask the question - Who among here believes that the earth is orange shaped and not flat.

Our belief depends on our knowledge. And as we had a sweetly heated discussion earlier involving a few of us, I think that, if I can't understand something, that doesn't mean that that's mystic, or magic. That only mean that we are not able to understand this yet.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

psychic?

I tend to agree with Jessica Utts' assessment of the remote viewing studies conducted by Puthoff and Targ at Stanford Research Institute, that it was silly to continue questioning "whether or not," and to pay attention to, "what now?"

However, I am extremely skeptical of anything that requires "belief" as a first condition of acceptance of validity; that applies equally to the majority of religions, most of which have less verifiable evidence than "psychic phenomena," yet are uncritically accepted by large numbers of people.

That said, the question of "whether or not" has been explored so thoroughly, by so many sources, that it is not particularly useful to keep asking it. Much more useful is proceeding from the premise, "This exists; how, and for what purpose, can it be used." It is in that area that most of the true believers come up short.

For some interesting insights into the matter, you might search Utts, Joe McMoneagle, and Stargate (the gov project, not the TV show). Scangate was another term used for the same activity. Of all the many participants in Stargate, McMoneagle is the most credible--others seem more interested in profiting by providing "instructions."

As for why the "psychics" are not up on stage adding to the fame and fortune of some publicity-hungry debunker, that is simple; the food in Vegas is better, the money in Vegas is better, and the perks of anonymity far exceed the trivial rewards of fame.

If you read McMoneagle closely and critically, you will find the interesting observation that, despite a great deal of effort by a lot of people, it was literally impossible to train "non-psychics" to be "psychic." In short, if they didn't have the initial skill set coming in the door, they never had it when they left. Not my opinion. McMoneagle's.
    Professional Race Ratings for Professional Pari-Mutuel Investors.
    www.ddssratings.com