SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asking the visitor

I am doing a site for an older persons charity. I would like to include a facility which allows them to state that e.g. they do not use JS or want large text and then automatically change the presentation to that mode or something nearer to their needs. I am not an experienced coder for Ajax or JS so would need to build this in on a modular basis (perhaps a small start).

Has this been discussed anywhere or any other pointers as to what could be done?

Thanks for your time.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean something like this? http://www.alistapart.com/articles/phpswitch

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barleytwist View Post
    Has this been discussed anywhere or any other pointers as to what could be done?
    The most customisable web design I've seen comes from the Government Offices of Sweden (English version) but that possibly asks too many questions to be suitable for an older persons charity - but you might find it useful as a starting point.
    Jack Pickard | The Pickards

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't offer any help on the coding part, but I'd just suggest that you be careful with what you ask them to specify. Make the hurdle too high (or confusing) and folks won't jump it to get to your site.

I would venture that most non-technical people don't know whether they use JS or not -- just fail gracefully if they don't.

As for font size (and the other zillion parameters you can specify on the Swedish Government page listed above), it might be best to show, not tell. For instance:

Click the text size you'd like to use on this site:
    Go to small text Homepage Go to large text Homepage

Or just set a reasonable default and make it easy to change later. Don't put the onus on the user to make every decision!