User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy asp_funda's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool suggestions for my next camera?!

hi
    right now I've got Kodak LS753 which is about 20 months old. I'm looking for a better camera now as I feel that I've outgrown the basic point-n-shoot cameras & would like more control, more features, more zoom etc.

but I don't want a dslr, as I want a no hassle camera(temptation etc. of being able to put on different lenses etc.) that doesn't burn a hole in my pocket(my budget is around $600). so after reading around a bit, I've almost made up my mind to go for Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50S which has a 10MP CCD, 12x optical zoom, optical image stabilization, 35-420mm focal length, Leica DC Vario-Elmarit lens, manual & auto focus(manual via rings on lens, like an slr), Venus Engine III processor, gives quite a lot of manual controls. Simon Joinson over at dpreview.com reviewed it & gave it a score of around 8.5/10.

what do you fellows think? or can you suggest any other cameras in the same league(features, performance & price)?
    Our lives teach us who we are.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Me - Photo Blog - Personal Blog - Dev Blog
    iG:Syntax Hiliter -- Colourize your code in WordPress!!

SitePoint Enthusiast thegunslinger1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds good to me, even though I am a Nikon fanboy. I checked Nikon's site and they only have one 10mp point and shoot. Now if you asked about a lower priced DSLR, I definatly have my options about that, but thats another thread.

It seems to me that this might be a good fit for you. My only word of advice is, see if you can find something comparable with an established camera maker, Cannon, Nikon, even Kodak. Panasonic makes good electronics, just dont know if I would want to rely on their camera since I haven't had any experiances with them. Been using Nikon for 8 years across three cameras.
    Visit my photography at:
    www.charlesmarchese.com

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger1 View Post
    That sounds good to me, even though I am a Nikon fanboy. I checked Nikon's site and they only have one 10mp point and shoot.
    the MPs hardly matter if one is not looking to take out prints. my current Kodak is 5MP but I shoot at 4MP since I don't need the extra MP in my photos & knocking it off means more photos on my 512MB card. so I'll hardly be snapping at 10MP in that Lumix as well.

Now if you asked about a lower priced DSLR, I definatly have my options about that, but thats another thread.
    well, as far as I know, I can get a low segment dslr from canon at around $600-$650, but don't think it will be worth it, since I'll need to get a bit more stuff to make it comparable to this Lumix's performance & then the cost will definitely increase for the dslr. not yet, maybe in a couple of years or later I'll be good enough to get a dslr!

It seems to me that this might be a good fit for you. My only word of advice is, see if you can find something comparable with an established camera maker, Cannon, Nikon, even Kodak.
    The only camera(in prosumer segment) nearer to this one in performance is Canon S3IS, but its only second to this, so I've read in various comparisons & reviews. But then S3IS is about $80-$100 cheaper than this one. I tried S3IS in a shop here & didn't like it. As per what I've seen, Nikon hasn't got anything good in this segment(given that their dslr range is quite cool). Kodak is good only in the basic point-n-shoot range, their more expensive Z series cameras don't come anywhere near this one!

Panasonic makes good electronics, just dont know if I would want to rely on their camera since I haven't had any experiances with them.
    As far as I know, Panasonic came out with image stabilization, theirs is one of the best in industry & Leica lenses are one of the best in the business. And I also haven't had any prior experience with their cameras(gotta be 1st time sometime) but the reviews so far are quite good for this camera, it came out last september(2006).

Been using Nikon for 8 years across three cameras.
    I've just used Kodak as that's my first digital camera, & have had some experience with Sony's & Nikon's of friends!

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not check out something from the Nikon Coolpix series... or Sony Cybershot ??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Why not check out something from the Nikon Coolpix series... or Sony Cybershot ??
    Firstly, I don't think they have anything in the prosumer segment, or super zoom cameras, anything above or equal to 10x optical zoom(besides Nikon Coolpix S10), except in dslrs where you can attach a telephoto lens.

Secondly, I don't think I'll go for a Sony since imho they don't make any decent cameras, definitely not outside the point-n-shoot segment.

Thirdly, this Panasonic that I'm keen on getting, its almost a dslr, with the ability to have filters etc attached to its lens, one of the many pluses it has over its closest competitor, Canon S3IS.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buddy boy, if your mind is already made up then why are you asking for suggestions??

(That's a rhetorial question... I do not want an answer.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    (That's a rhetorial question... I do not want an answer.)
    I'll give it anyways, just to make the point clear.

My mind is almost made up, yet am still to finalise & buy it. Asked for suggestions just in case there's some camera that I've overlooked & which might be better than this one! So far doesn't look to be the case since I've been combing photography resource, review websites etc. for last month & half, but still, there's always a chance that I might've overlooked something!