User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handle Different Languages With Different Databases

Hi all.

I'm about to build a web site that should be available in several languages. I read different articles and discussions on this topic. The problem is I think I want to make it using an approach that I didn't find on the internet. I want to use different databases for the different languages. This approach would let the language of a particular page of the site be changed just by changing the database it connects to in the beginning. The other advantage is that it seems like the most modular approach. The French version, for example, would interact in no way nor with the German neither with any of the other language versions.

What do you think about this approach? It seems so nice to me but I'm worried that I didn't find someone else that uses it on the internet and probably there is some solid reason for that. I'd love to hear your opinion.

Thank you!

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how would you handle one user that speaks english and french?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as any other user I guess. The user would be able to chose a language and based on his/her choice the web site will load getting the data from the database corresponding to the chosen language.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if your users will log in. If so, would you want them to be able to log in to a different "language" with the same username/password ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't need "log in" functionality for this project but if I needed such I think I would like to let user use the same user/pass for all the user available content.