SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this one here is even better than the first of the sun/tree shots. I just love this texture, like some old Delft tile work, complex and simple at the same time.

Sara -- thank you so very much for starting these threads. This has opened a new door for me -- Ulrike

-
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's like a tie-dye shirt!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes!!! That too! I am really excited about my new found possibilities here. I never before thought of using the camera in that way. The experimenting that I will do now. Wow.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like doing stuff like this too, particularly with long exposures:

This is Fawley, the biggest oil refinery in Britain, with an 8s exposure:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raffles, those are great. The glow. It is so interesting how you can take just very mundane scenes/objects and transform them. Sometimes I think we remember something more when it was captured in a picture, but the very picture can also distort a memory, for that is then all you remember, just that small moment.

I find that to be the case when taking a photo at some family event, that seems to be always the clearest point, all you have later on. I stopped taking pictures of occasions for that reason, my memories are broader now, hazier, but in a way deeper. I pay more attention to the event itself verses trying to get a great shot.
    Ulrike
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just like when people go somewhere to take a glimpse of some rare creatures, they spend far too long trying to get a good photograph that they forget to see the animal with their own eyes and spend 80% of the time pointing a camera at it. It's worthwhile to just experience the moment without having to constantly worry that you might end up only with that shot where you can only see its hind legs because the rest is hidden behind foliage, but it's blurry so in fact it's a pretty crap shot all around.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also found, that when you take a photo for those kinds of events, the other senses seem to be dimmed at that point, only the visual becomes important. That can be a loss of the event itself, since all other senses truly contribute to a memory.

So, I took another one of those at the sun kind of photos, it is this way right out of the camera. Interesting the way it looks like it was manipulated in PS. If you ever do something like this, do not look at the sun directly, that can hurt your eyes, squint and look beside it, not into it.

-
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this...looks like fireworks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ruthm. This is a Schefflera Tree, also known as Umbrella Tree. Those leaf rosettes are quite pretty. They have a very interesting bloom and berry cycle, huge spikes, sitting like a crown on the tip of each branch. The fruit is brilliant cherry red. Spectacular!
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an old picture. I'm going to try to get out and get some new interesting ones.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Sara -- thank you so very much for starting these threads. This has opened a new door for me[/IMG]
    No need to thank me. I'm glad people like it.
    Sara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Evening

I went out when the sun was low this evening and saw these leaves of a copper bush back lit by it.

-
    A few minutes later a cloud bank moved in.
    -
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I immediately thought those copper leaves looked like some dragon spreading its wings.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    I immediately thought those copper leaves looked like some dragon spreading its wings.
    Yes, they look just like that! Leathery and translucent at the same time. Amazing the kind of thought one can evoke with just a little picture. Creativity is started at that point and can lead so farů
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthm View Post
    This is an old picture. I'm going to try to get out and get some new interesting ones.[IMG]
    I forgot to tell you, ruthm. In my native language (German), we call this circle around the moon: Court Yard. Sometimes the round *rainbow* is very vivid and always foretelling rainy weather. You see at the same time the little sheep clouds, they as well point into the direction of a weather change.
    Last edited by Datura; May 29, 2007 at 20:20.
    Ulrike

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some from the Archives

More warmth, but light too - this Blues woman shows the light that can come from someone filled with character and soul. I can't recall her name but she was one of the best I have seen and I have seen B.B. King (his club at Times Square never ceases to amaze with the quality of acts they book), Buddy Guy, Keb Mo - quite a few, but she was in their league. I took this at the annual Albany Bluesfest which is @Empire State Plaza, this crazy space age complex that comprises most of the NY State Capital. If you are in Albany, I very much recommend checking it out - it is other worldly yet was built of marble in the 60's by then Governor Nelson Rockefeller.

This is an Albany sunset peeking through the clouds, taken on my roofdeck.

An ever light jellyfish from the Coney Island/NY Aquarium.

The Manhattan Bridge and the midtown skyline at the end of sunset. Taken from the Brooklyn Bridge.

Tail lights glowing from under the Manhattan Bridge in the early evening. Taken just before walking across the Manhattan Bridge while on my way to Chinatown, via the Lower East Side, for dinner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    It's just like when people go somewhere to take a glimpse of some rare creatures, they spend far too long trying to get a good photograph that they forget to see the animal with their own eyes and spend 80% of the time pointing a camera at it. It's worthwhile to just experience the moment without having to constantly worry that you might end up only with that shot where you can only see its hind legs because the rest is hidden behind foliage, but it's blurry so in fact it's a pretty crap shot all around.
    I know what you mean - for the most part I have overcome this by going to zoos, parks and aquariums when I know it will be less crowded so I can enjoy myself and take it in while still taking some shots.

The other technique I use is going 3 times - once for enjoyment, the first pass, a second time to scope out places, objects and angles followed my a final pass which is focused on choosing the best time (and taking my time) to get the best shot (within reason of course).

Over the years this technique has allowed me to take some spectacular shots - preparation goes a long way.

I will say though that my favorite part/pass is the first one - just taking it all in, in a more whole, complete, organic way. The second pass is sort of fun too - scoping it all out with care - but the final pass - getting the perfect shot - can be tedious. For get togethers and family events though I would never be so prepared - for those I usually just look at the pics from whoever developed the shots from their disposable - good enough to help stir some memories.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this photo because of the light/dark/shadows

Nadia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Manhattan Bridge -- how golden, how transformed by this light. As if no noise and dirt was there…
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Manhattan Bridge -- how golden, how transformed by this light. As if no noise and dirt was there…
    Under the right circumstances, I find an amazing beauty in some of these industrial beasts (like the Manhattan and Williamsburg Bridges). I get quite some pleasure in coaxing it out.

IIRC correctly, the pic in question was taken in the early winter late fall, where there is an amazing early evening cast/patina on everything in NYC most of the time because of the positioning of the Sun during this time of year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love a lot of the man made structures, especially bridges, tall buildings, heavy equipment. Shows the strength of the human mind. It would be interesting to take aim at one of them and take a picture every day. How different each photo would be…
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to take aim at one of them and take a picture every day. How different each photo would be…
    Hmm...

I like your idea. Do I smell another contest concept perhaps? I don't quite do that because I could be anywhere in NYC on a given day - but I do try to take a photo a quarter (more or less) of the local objects that inspire me. It is very cool to see how different they are from various angles, times of day and seasons for sure . What a difference a day makes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be a great contest idea, but I think it would be also much too demanding. Think about the commitment one would have to have, almost impossible in a format like a forum as this.

I am working right now at a concept something like it for a series of canvasses I will paint. I will have to put the concepts down and sketch it out to see if it might not be too boring. Attention span in people is short, they might fall asleep half through looking at it. As an artist you get excited by things like that, working all angles and minutiae. But the *regular* guy does not get the sense of it often.
    Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and those of us (raises hand) who have absolutely no portfolio (zilch, zero, nada) pictures to pull this from would have to go "on location" in almost "perfect" conditions to get the desired effect. That's my biggest problem with these weekly photo challenges. I could touch certain things up in Photoshop to make it appear how I would like, but it's not as fun and teaches me little about my camera.

Perhaps a monthly "Advanced Photographer Challenge" instead for something like that.
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great pictures man
    i think third is the best one.