SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I use MySql with asp

I've arrived here from the main MySql site.

I have been considering looking into SQL Server as an online database mainly owing to the restrictions on concurrent use in Access. I am reasonably experienced in VBA and VBScript,ASP, ADO and SQL having used them all for PC and online Access databases.

My questions are:
    1. if I decided to move over to MySQl for a future online database am I going to be able to properly use it in conjunction with ASP for constructing dynamic web pages, much as I do now with Access databases.

2.Is it correct to assume that when using MySql on my own PC it is SQL that will be the way of constructing tables and queries and so forth. I will not have to learn another language?

3. Is there what I might call a language associated with MySQL analogous to VBA for Access?

I assume that there will be no concurrency issues to worry about in practice as far as MySql is concerned. Though I know very little about either, I am assuming that MySql is somewhat comparable with SQL server.

Hope I have not overloaded this posting!

Best wishes, John Morgan

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In answer to your questions.

1 - Yes you can use mySql or any other database properly with ASP you just need to use a different connection string the link below gives ADO connection strings for many different databases including mySql.

http://www.able-consulting.com/ado_c...o_conn.htm#DSN

2 - SQL is the standard language for all databases so you will not have to learn a new language to construct tables, there are juat a few minor differences between different databases versions of SQL, but that will not be a problem.

3 - The language most commonly used with mySql is PHP and is similar to asp (not asp.net) in what you can achive with it. There is a windows version and it is free so you can test it out at home or alternately stick with ASP.

Unless you have a very busy site I doubt you will get any concurrency problems with mySql like you do with Access, it is very quick at reads, but not so good on writes so it is not quite as good as SQL server, but is pretty decent.

A couple of points to remeber with mySql though is that although it is very quick at retriving data it does not support stored procedures or transactions, I don't know if you need them for your project, but there you go.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

I have two other queries in trying to grasp what is involved in upgrading from Access to what I think I correctly call a client-server type database such as MySql or Sql server They are:

1. I notice in the tutorial on the MySql.com site that all the commands are done from the command line prompt.I am of course interested in providing a visual windows type user interface for the user. Is it correct to assume that to implement forms and so forth in a normal networking environment (not internet) I would need to do this as part of a Visual Basic application using an ADO connection to MySql?

2. From what I can see the cost of using MySQl is likely to be almost nothing whilst that of using Microssoft Sql Server is high. The two seem so different in cost that I can hardly believe it. Am I missing some important disadvantages to MySql in making this comparison?

From your last message, I am sure I can live with the stored procedures and transaction points you mention,

Best wishes, John Morgan