SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast wildscribe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think it's safe to use PNG?

I've been experimenting with different file types and have found that in some situations, PNG does a better job handling gradients than JPEG (especially when dealing with text on gradients). I have also noticed
    that PNG works well with the two major browsers - IE4 and up, and Netscape 4 and up.

The only thing that keeps me from using it is the fact that most sites still use only GIF and JPG. Is there a reason for not using PNG or do you think most folks are content with GIF and JPG?

- WiLd

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was under the impression that, PNG were larger in size and thats why everyone uses gifs and Jpegs.

I could be wrong, since I stick with the tried and True Gif and 'peg.

Chuck
    "Happiness doesn't find you, you find happiness" -- Unknown
    www.chuckknows.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the lack of use is that it requires a plug-in for older browsers.

PNG are vector-based graphics and tend to be smaller in size. The image made by a set of mathmatical instructions instead of an X Y grid.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PNG does create slightly larger files than JPEG, since its compression is not lossy. It's still going to be better than GIF for a photo.

Its advantages can outweigh the extra file size--ability to store gamma information for color correction purposes, and partial transparency (much better than gifs)--but browser support can be an issue. You can try out this transparency test page to see how well a particular browser fares.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Png compared to Gif you are looking at better quality and smaller size for PNG. You can't compare either to JPG because they aren't suppost to be similar formats.

PNG isn't backwards compatible. If you are interested in coding for older browsers then you are shotting yourself in the foot. If you want to program for the newer browser use Png instead of gif.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by DevilBear
    PNG does create slightly larger files than JPEG, since its compression is not lossy. It's still going to be better than GIF for a photo.

Its advantages can outweigh the extra file size--ability to store gamma information for color correction purposes, and partial transparency (much better than gifs)--but browser support can be an issue. You can try out this transparency test page to see how well a particular browser fares.
    Mine failed - IE 6 on Windows XP
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine too, big style - same spec as westmich

SitePoint Enthusiast wildscribe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the help!

You have a point about PNG not being compatible with certain browsers. Although it does appear to work with most browsers, it doesn't appear to be totally accepted. I was sorry to hear that it doesn't work with IE6 on XP. (Although, IE6 and PNG works fine for me on Windows 2000.)

It looks like I'll have to resort to using the image slicer in Fireworks and create a combination GIF/JPG creation.

This also brings up another question. How many "old" browsers are still around. By old, I am referring to Netscape 3.0 and IE 3.0 and earlier. I run several sites and after searching through the log files, I don't think I've seen anyone use either of these dinosaurs for at least a year if not longer.

Does anyone here get visitors using 3.0 browsers?

- Wild

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took a look at the most recent stats for one of our sites... it got more hits from Mozilla 3 than from 5.

Prolific Blogger silver trophy Technosailor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    boy, it's a shame this isn't a poll. I'd like to see some stats on who uses PNG's.

Sketch
    Aaron Brazell
    Technosailor

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Internet Explorer

Ive heard that PNG doesnt work in Internet Explorer at all. It doesnt work for me on Win2k IE6.
    The file size is usually bigger and transparency is much better than gif or jpeg.
    Wavelan

SitePoint Enthusiast Fluffy bunny slippers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wildscribe,

I really like this article on site point.

GIF, JPG and PNG - What's the difference?
    Matt Mickiewicz and Nicky Danino

http://www.webmasterbase.com/article/44

fluffy bunny slippers
    If you like the look of my slippers you should see my undies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by westmich
    PNG are vector-based graphics and tend to be smaller in size. The image made by a set of mathmatical instructions instead of an X Y grid.
    ISorry, but you're wrong there, westmich

It's a bitmap-based format devised as a non-licensed replacement for non-animated Gif images (and to some extent- Tiffs too).
    It is not meant to replace JPG at all and shouldn't really be compared (or used as a replacement)

More background and technical info at:
    http://www.its.caltech.edu/~stl/png.html
    http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/spec/
    http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngintro.html

I have been swotting up on the PNG format lately as I am interested in going 'the way of the PNG'.
    New Plastic Arts: Visual Communication | DesignateOnline

Mate went to NY and all he got me was this lousy signature

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of bad information here

I'll try to clear up a lot of bad information that everyone's posting.

PNG is indeed not vector-based. It's a bitmap-type graphic like GIF and JPG.

PNG is supported in IE6 for XP, and every 4+ browser version, including Opera and Konquerer. What IE doesn't support is variable transparency, which is basically just variable alpha levels, so part of the graphic can be partially transparent. IE will interpret PNG partial transparency as 100% transparent. You can still use it if you don't use the partial transparency. NS6 supports PNG transparency better.

PNG can replace both GIF and JPG graphics. It supports custom pallets and non-lossy compression like GIF for better image quality and it supports true color like JPGs, which is better for photos. Its file size is often not as small as either GIF or JPG, but for some photos the quality makes up for it. Adobe ImageReady has very good support for saving as PNG and lets you tweak the quality/size tradeoffs very well.

I've used PNGs professionally. My best advice is to try them and see if they give you good results. Don't worry about supporting old browsers.