SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Performance issues on shared host?

Hey,

Has anybody ever heard of performace issues with Rails on a shared host? I built this site which works great up to the point where people start to upload pictures. The app starts to hang every now and then, especially when trying to upload larger image files (100KB and over). Some people now tell me that this is due to the Rails app being hosted on a shared host. Any suggestions?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience the main issue is likely to be the webserver. For example, if you are running a single mongrel instance, that instance will devote all it's time to the file upload and other actions will have to wait until that process is complete. On a shared host, I would hope they are running some sort of cluster, and the problem may then be that the cluster doesn't have enough nodes. So it would be worth talking to the host's tech support to see if they can help.

One solution may be to hand over the large file handling to the front end web server. For example, if Apache is being used as a proxy to the background Rails application and/or mongrel web servers, you could let Apache look after these files. That's fairly straight forward when serving static image files, but may be a little more complicated on the upload side.