User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Webdate: PROBLEM

Webdate dating software is turning into Glitch Central. The latest problem:

If you're a member of the site and want to e-mail another member, you go to their profile, click on a "send message" link, and then an e-mail box appears with the recipient's name already in the "To:" section.

That's how it's SUPPOSED to work.

I'm getting tons of users who, when they try to e-mail another member, either:

1. the wrong name appears in the "To:" section
    2. The "To:" section is completely blank and can't be filled in
    3. A dropdown menu suddenly appears in the "To:" section and includes names of people you've already contacted, with no ability to type in the name of the person you're trying to e-mail now.

Has anyone else been having this problem? How do I fix it?

Confused.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya, have u tried submitting a support ticket to them? Is there a forum for customers to discuss problems relating to the script?

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If you paid for it - ask them!
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you're right that since I PAID FOR THE SOFTWARE, they should help me. So I did ask them, and this is what I got:

There is no such bug in the webdate, and in the latest version 3.0 all the functions works fine, if you like to fix the error you can better upgrade from version 2.0 to 3.0.
    Ralph
    Support Representative

For the record, people are *****ing about version 3.0 also, so apparently, those problems are imaginary, too.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should also add about the "no such bug" comment that I know other Webdate users (one who just contacted me through this site) who are also having the same exact problem I am. The problem is that no one knows how to fix it, and WebScribble doesn't care about you once they have your money.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to sound rude but what did you expect jumping into a crowed market filled with cheap crappy scripts. Everyone in on this "Online Dating" thing is just there for the money no other reason so of course the software will below standard as with the service.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take a look at this webdate review site .. reviews posted are either extremely negative and give ratings of 1 or they are overly positive and give a rating of 10 ..

Looks as though genuine users of webdate are very unhappy with the product and webscribble people are trying to counter the negative reviews by rating their own product

irony is.. you can't even post the code here to get help since they'll sue you for copyright breach !!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to replicate the error on the demo on their site? If it is then surely they can't ignore the problem.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    After a little bit of digging I came up with similar responses like catweasel's thread.

If you are really narked why not drop a line to the CEO of webDate? If in doubt go as high as you can.

I'm not going to post his email address on SPF as that would be slightly unethical and could result in further problems
    However if you read the 'hilarious' article from infoworld you may well happen across some contact details for one Abe Smilowitz.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did, Spike. Sadly, they do nothing.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for clarification, I would like to say I also experience problems with webDate (back in 2003). I had nothing but problems from WebScribble (the makers of webDate). When you purchase a product from them, just expect bugs. Also expect for them to take a week (or two) to get back with you. Support is virtually non-existant. They also milk you for money every year due to their license setup. I have their script and I can't even see the login screen for the administrator because it is coded to only display when you purchase their yearly license. Their code is encoded. I advice anyone looking to create a dating site to stay away from WebScribble.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course the code is encoded - that's standard practice when selling code (otherwise people could just copy it and sell it as their own).

If you are going to buy open-source code, you will always have problems - especially if you're expecting to make money off it.
    The only PHP software I (and most people) would actually pay for would be vBulletin - mainly because so many people use it and trust it - it's also unencoded (they make enough money anyway), so people can add features like sitepoint's AJAX posting.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    Of course the code is encoded - that's standard practice when selling code (otherwise people could just copy it and sell it as their own).

If you are going to buy open-source code, you will always have problems - especially if you're expecting to make money off it.
    The only PHP software I (and most people) would actually pay for would be vBulletin - mainly because so many people use it and trust it - it's also unencoded (they make enough money anyway), so people can add features like sitepoint's AJAX posting.
    Actually, the core functions of vBulletin are in fact encoded.
    Kieran Allen, 16 years old
    Full time PHP developer,
    With 5 years experience in web development.
    www.kieran.in .. my blog.

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just quickly reading through a couple of vbulletin files, I cant see any encryption - which files are you refering to?
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, i was wrong there. VB isn't encoded, i was referring to IPB for some reason.
    Kieran Allen, 16 years old
    Full time PHP developer,
    With 5 years experience in web development.
    www.kieran.in .. my blog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a dating site with Webdate's dating software. I had constant problems with and although bugs were fixed quickly to begin with the response times got slower and slower. After a year's support the site went offline completely. I was advised to pay for an upgrade.

I didn't bother and ended up deleting the site and selling the domain! I've no idea if things have improved but I certainly couldn't recommend it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used webdate for about 4 years and have had nothing but problems at the moment i cannot upload photos
    I asked for help from support and was told to increase the number of photos allowed this is not the problem the problem is in the code
    I have just found a webscribble-webdate-support.forum which is not owned by webscribble the owner offers to fix all the bugs and to customize your site
    but this will cost you around $200 so i looked at other dating scripts and i found one for $199 so i am going to delete webdate and try the new script which includes a forum where you can post your problems the script is vldpersonals if any members are using this could you provide me with feedback or do you know of any good scripts I could try

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Six Pack

Six Pack,

I am Paul and run the webscribble-webdate-support.com that you mentioned... I have been running webdate software for 2 years and have over 20,000 members on my free dating site at abmatch.com

the charge of 200 for the upgrades and bug repairs is for my time because I install and test them all to your server personally..

if you need help with bugs and problems individually support is totally free in the forum .. and I help everyone I can with getting there webdate sites running great for them...

I have tested several dating scripts and webdate is very reliable once some of the fixes and upgrades are done...

your problem with the photo uploader is it's inability to resize large photos.. this is one of the main features in my upgrade package...

if you have questions for me feel free to email me on the support forum... support is always free on there.

I do recommend webscribble webdate to anyone who wants to start a dating site...

there is no script out there without bugs and this one runs great when tweaked a bit...

I just wrote a new matchfinder that emails all members their matches once a week similar to yahoo personals rather than only email new members to the matches... this has brought some serious traffic back to my site and got alot of people communicating on it's first test run last week...

also recently added daily horoscopes to the site.

for the full list of mods and upgrades check the support forum... if you need help of any kind with webdate script or have questions about starting a new site feel free and come ask us... we are a community of dating site owners to help each other.

Good luck to all new site owners..

Paul
    Last edited by 2paulm; Mar 31, 2008 at 20:49. Reason: missspellings

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AppleBrownBetty View Post
    Webdate dating software is turning into Glitch Central. The latest problem:

If you're a member of the site and want to e-mail another member, you go to their profile, click on a "send message" link, and then an e-mail box appears with the recipient's name already in the "To:" section.

That's how it's SUPPOSED to work.

I'm getting tons of users who, when they try to e-mail another member, either:

1. the wrong name appears in the "To:" section
    2. The "To:" section is completely blank and can't be filled in
    3. A dropdown menu suddenly appears in the "To:" section and includes names of people you've already contacted, with no ability to type in the name of the person you're trying to e-mail now.

Has anyone else been having this problem? How do I fix it?

Confused.
    The webdate software causes this bug in contacts. If there is any empty entry, the wrong name appears in the "To:" section. I fixed this bug long time ago, but I dont remember how. You only can mention in your faq seccion that members having that problem should delete empty entries in Contacts.