User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Download video file from client

Hi,
    I developped a SW for restaurants, pub, ecc...
    It's developped in php (and html, javascript, mysql) and runs by an Apache webserver (phpdev 4.2.3). The my system is not absolutely connected to the web.

It is a client-server system: in the server is installed Apache, while the clients are PCs where only a web browser (IE) is running, connected to the server via Wi-Fi.

I have the following problem:
    I want to show in the clients some videos (huge files); therefore I would kike to avoid to download them everytime from the server (in order to not overload the Wi-fi network).
    The client should call a php page from the server, but the video file should be downloaded from the own (client) HD.

The question is:
    Is it possible to open a file (in my case a video file) on the Local HD of the client PC by a javascript?
    Please consider that, if it could be a restriction problem on the client PC, I can change the configuration because it is not an internet application.

I'm not very expert, I'll really apprieciate if you can add some code rows to help me...

Thank you very much in advance and ciao from Rome
    Fausto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may try to tell him to play for example "C:/videos/video.avi", "file://C:/videos/cideo.avi" or maybe "file://localhost/C:/videos/video.avi". Browsers open local content this way, so it may work.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you,
    but, I suppose (correct me if I'm wrong) that if you play the files "C:/videos/video.avi", "file://C:/videos/cideo.avi" or "file://localhost/C:/videos/video.avi", you play from the PC where the web server is running, and not in the client PC.
    My target is to play a file in the local HD of the client PC

Ciao

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, it should be from client's PC - try to open some local HTML file, you will have something like "file://C:/html/yourhtml.html" in the adress bar.