SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Links not acceptable, indents quirky

Hi,

I'm in the first stages of making my first website in a long while - http://www.rubberballbrickwall.com, and I'm having some problems. I'd thought I was getting pretty good as CSS, but the browser quirks and my possibly shabby programming have quickyl disabused me.

The first one is with Firefox - the links in the navigation section ("nav") aren't behaving like links at all. There's no switch of cursor, no hover change for the style, no link appearing in the status window, etc. They work fine in IE 7.

Second issue is the indent of the primary text, which I think is due either to float or the div not being placed where I think it is. In firefox, after the nav section ends, the content flows to the left while retaining it's width towards the right. It also doesn't reach where I intended it's right border to be (adjacent to where the brick wall is in the background image). In IE, however, the content never changes it's position.

I'd like to sync these two to the same manner. I don't know that I have a preference as far as whether or not the text flows underneath the nav section like it does in Firefox now. Is there a general preference for this?

Thanks for any help, guys.

Edit: forgot the CSS file link: http://www.rubberballbrickwall.com/ref/rbbw.css
    Caution: Slow Children At Play -->

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gah, part of my problem was where i'd wrote "flow" instead of "float" in one part of the CSS, which I found after seeing another post recomending the W3C's validator.

So now the links work fine in Firefox, but now FF has the content below the nav section as opposed to across from it as it is in IE.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try just letting #blog sit naturally in position without floating and let it slide behind the nav, giving it a clearing left margin:
    Code:
    div#blog {
    	margin-left: 170px;
    	margin-right: 35px;	 
    }

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that worked!

You guys make this look easy.