SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

setting access password

how do i set a password for my access db?
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Open your Database in Access 2000. Under the heading Tools, click and go to Security, and then set Database Password. Here it should bring you to a popup box that sets and verifies your password.

Tools -> Secuirty -> Set Database Password

That should do it.

Drew
    ~Drew

There Is No Greater Joy Than Soaring High On The Wings Of Your Dreams, Except Maybe The Joy Of Watching A Dreamer Who Has Nowhere To Land But In The Ocean Of Reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it says i need to do some command line thing
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you open your database from the file menu, there should be a little checkbox with "open as somthingorother" in it, i've forgotten what the exact name is at the moment...but you'll be able to do it then...

But, don't think that your database it secure though, the passsword is found out *very* easily... there are a whole bunch of things you need to do if you are preparing it for web use...

The doctor is in... silver trophy MarcusJT's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Platinum was referring to the veritable bevvy of MS Office (Word/Excel/Access/PowerPoint) password cracking & decrypting apps, which make mincemeat of the pathetic protection they provide.

If you want to password-protect the database, then that implies that there is data there that should be protected - this data should NEVER be stored in the database in plaintext form.

Credit card details are a classic for this kind of thing - compromising and abusing a database containing thousands of customers' credit & address details is child's play if the data is left in plaintext form, and protected by only a simple Access database password.

In essence, there should never be ANY data in a database that you would not want to become public knowledge if it were published as is.

Get hold of an encryption component (or use a VBScript RC4 en-/de-cryption implementation), and make sure that no sensitive data remains unencrypted in the database.

M@rco