Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quirky

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Quirky

Do you all have some quirky behavior? Something you do and just look at yourself and shake your head. I have this thing with news papers and magazines: they must be stacked in a neat pile. I get really nervous when they are all just plunked down. I am not a neat freak, just this one thing bugs me, and it bugs me that it bugs me.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to polish my shoes before I put them away. Drives my missus mad. Too many years in the Kate I guess.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only eat using the white forks, knifes (I dont use knifes actually, ever) and spoons. I dont eat with the silver ones.
    Me on StackOverflow | Blog & personal website.

I mostly use: PHP, Java, JavaScript, Android.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if this is a quirk.

I tend to remember jokes waaay after they were told and then laugh at them loudly and suddenly and for no apparent reason.

This is all well and good when I'm by myself but when I'm in public or among friends it's strange... (well... to them at least).

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I tuck in my shirt...I want it to be perfect and I spend roughly 30 minutes everyay getting it perfect till I gave up wearing shirts and chose T shirts instead.........
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wear a baseball cap in public, even at night.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we go away on holiday or on a trip I get this sort of pack together - lists, maps, dates, times, alternatives etc. etc. Not exactly spontaneous... Thankfully my husband is quite happy with the situation - he just lets me get on with it.

I also hate - I mean HATE being late anywhere. I'd rather get there an hour early and just sit than get there a minute late.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy devbanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um, well, I never fall to sleep on the side that I lie down in bed on, like if I lie down on my left side I will have to roll over to my right side before I can get comfortable, and if I lie on my right side then I have to turn onto my left.

I'm absolutely obsessed over washing my hands enough.

I won't drink or eat after someone else. I mean if someone offers me a drink of something they have I will never take it, or asks me if I want a bite of their food.

That's all I can think of for now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post

I tend to remember jokes waaay after they were told and then laugh at them loudly and suddenly and for no apparent reason.

This is all well and good when I'm by myself but when I'm in public or among friends it's strange... (well... to them at least).
    I do the same thing. I also think about something funny that I might say and just laugh out loud, no matter where I am. But I am considered a kooky artist, people expect strange behavior from me and I take full advantage of that.
    Ulrike

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post

Yes, me too. But I do my best to get myself together in public places.

Quote Originally Posted by devbanana View Post
    I won't drink or eat after someone else. I mean if someone offers me a drink of something they have I will never take it, or asks me if I want a bite of their food.
    I tend to avoid that too, but I don't think that's quirky at all.

And, uhm, I stay up late working or even not working, even though that is not necessary at all; then I sleep till 2 pm. I've completely lost control over that.
    Saul

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah me too.. i'll remember a joke or funny incidents and catch myself laughing and find people looking at me.

I always align stuff at the table when we eat. Glass 45 degrees to the left, silver ware nice and straight and equal distance on both sides from the plate... sigh!

Dan - I used to wear a baseball hat all times (few times I got into the shower and did not realise it. Sometimes I slept with it on..) but I somehow lost that habit.. wonder if marriage had anything to do with it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post
    I always align stuff at the table when we eat. Glass 45 degrees to the left, silver ware nice and straight and equal distance on both sides from the plate... sigh!
    Me too! That is the graphic designer in us, always aligning things, making them orderly. The training to think this way is deeply ingrained…
    Ulrike

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm the sort of person who always finds the perfect place for somthing, and I'm fastidious in observing those little unwriten rules about where I place thing. Stuff like my keys, my bag wallet, books bla bla. There's not a drawer or shelf in the house where I don't know what I've put there

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I'm the sort of person who always finds the perfect place for somthing, and I'm fastidious in observing those little unwriten rules about where I place thing. Stuff like my keys, my bag wallet, books bla bla. There's not a drawer or shelf in the house where I don't know what I've put there
    I do not call that quirky really, maybe because I do that as well. I know exactly where every thing is …
    Ulrike

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy mizwizzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    em, i guess renaming my songs on my pc or files... all the words have to have a capital letter at the start lol

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    I do not call that quirky really, maybe because I do that as well. I know exactly where every thing is …
    Well in comparison to my other half, I seem crazy She never puts her keys in the same place twice

I guess we are alike in that fashion...probably many more people with the same trait.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Well in comparison to my other half, I seem crazy She never puts her keys in the same place twice

I guess we are alike in that fashion...probably many more people with the same trait.
    My husband is like your GF, always searching for the keys, stuff in general. I
    often pay attention to where he puts things, then I can point to the spot later and grin…
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I compulsively highlight blocks of text as I read long webpages.

I also refuse to shave every day. At first it was because I had sensitive skin at the time but now the habit has stuck. I'm nearly religious about doing it every other day though.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mizwizzy
    em, i guess renaming my songs on my pc or files... all the words have to have a capital letter at the start lol
    Me too. All the metadata tags must be perfectly in order too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Me too, but most of the time it's not over a joke, but over some stupid incident, like when I was playing ping pong and the ball hit the dog squarely on the head and made a very hollow sound, while the dog just looked a bit surprised and then humiliated as I howled with laughter at him. Nobody else seemed to find it hysterical at the time nor when I recount it (understandably) but it always makes me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie
    I also refuse to shave every day.
    Same here, but I don't shave every other day - more like every other week on average.

I hate it when people chew near my face, especially biscuits and especially around my ears. I also find it near on impossible to tolerate people staring at my computer monitor while I'm doing my stuff on it.

I always try to do things in even numbers as long as it make things too complicated. Like bouncing the squash ball an even number of times before serving, setting the volume in Winamp at an even number or set the alarm clock at an even number of minutes past the hour. This is because I think odd numbers are inferior to even numbers.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    I also find it near on impossible to tolerate people staring at my computer monitor while I'm doing my stuff on it.
    Oh yes! Subject to my mood, anyone who dares doing that is given a "I'm gonna kill you" look, yelled at or even punched. Especially when I'm coding.
    Saul

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    This is because I think odd numbers are inferior to even numbers.
    You just gave me a hearty laugh
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, let's see:

I CANNOT leave my house without my hat on. Makes no sense, since I have very short hair.

When I eat, I have to wipe my mouth after every bite, and won't use a napkin more than twice. I always end up with a pile of like 20 dirty napkins haha.

When I buy anything at a store, I'll never take the first item, it always has to be the second in line. This goes for food, drinks, cd's, clothes...anything.

I always have to tie my right shoe much tighter than my left...but this may stem from the time I shattered my right ankle.

Okay, I can't think of anything right now, but I know there's more, because my wife is always yelling at me for my quirks.
    Life would be so much easier if we
    could just look at the source code.
    -Dave Olson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah same here with even numbers, except it is in sets of 4 for me, instead of 2. In fact it is quite obsessive; if I press insert+f12 on my computer to hear the time from my screen reader, i'll press it four times just for the heck of it. If the minute changes during those four times, then I press it until I've heard four times on the same minute.

Wow, now my true insanity is coming out...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate quirks in people. That makes us all different. Would be boring if we all walked the same steps at the same time
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I talk to myself too when trying to figure out math problems, or programming problems.

Helps me to think. I guess it's my way of scribbling it on paper lik esome people do, because my mind's virtually like paper because it remembers everything...