SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Always A Novice bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Help! Recover Data From Cd!

I have some very important documents that I've managed to lose on to a recordable cd. I "backed it all up" onto cd (however the burn was bad, defective burner) so now windows cant read it as written to. I have been trying to find some software that can do this but can't fnd a program that is designed for this use. The cd probably didnt close properly or... whatever. Any help would be great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some tips:

Never EVER format a disk with Drag2Disk or other similar programs - a CD is not a big floppy. Create a data disk instead.

Never EVER use RW disks to store data - very unreliable.

I've heard it's possible to recover data using cdroller or ISOBuster but I've never had to give them a try thankfully.

Always A Novice bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    cd roller is a no go, it depends (like alot of other data recovery programs) that it can be recognized by windows. ISOBuster is the best so far. It shows some signs of life for me. It can see that there is an open session, and that there are two tracks on it. One of 666.51 MB and the other of 36.31 MB. The recovery feature is not however able to extract or read any of the data. I have about 690 MB of all photos that I absolutely can not lose. Any other pointers would be great.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know it sounds stupid but i had problem with a computer once. I redid computer and used disk F to read disk. For some reason disk E showed nothing and F would read it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to get a hold of Stellar Phoenix CDRom, if you have the money or can get a copy from a friend. I've used the NTFS recovery software, and it worked wonders on a hard drive where the head met the disk.
    Life would be so much easier if we
    could just look at the source code.
    -Dave Olson