SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XHTML and Accessibility Validation

Hi All,

I am currently building a CMS. To ensure that a standard is maintained I wanted to integrate some validation for the users to recognise errors and not deploy changes which fail validation etc.

I was therefore wondering if anyway know of any XHTML and/or Accessibiltiy validators I could plugin into through web services etc?

Thanks

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There aren't any you can "plug in" that I'm aware of, but you can have them check the standard bearers:

http://validator.w3.org
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator

There are a few so-called "accessibility validators" but just because a site can pass muster with them doesn't mean they're truely accessible.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can add an XML parser, which can check whether the markup is well-formed. This should be fairly simple (as I recall, PHP has some XML manipulation tools).

It is, however, impossible to automatically check for accessibility.

Furthermore, if the users aren't fairly skilled in terms of markup, adding such requirements would most likely severely impair accessibility of the CMS itself, since many users will be clueless as to what the errors in the code is.

Validity should be handled by the CMS automatically - that is one of the reasons why people use a CMS, rather than coding manually.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say it would impede the accessibility of the CMS, but the usability, yes. It could impede that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, some good view there!

I agree with what your saying regarding accessibiliyy, but I just wanted to consider putting in some sort of protection. Anything which could strengthen the chance of being notified prior deployment of sloppy code would be a great advantage. Although the CMS will have a WYSIWYG which conforms to XHTML, as a fail safe I would like some sort of validation to back this in case of exceptions. A person with more experience regarding markup is responsible for overseeing deployment so it would be a quick way of alerting them who should have a clear understanding of the problem could be useful. They have the final say whether a page is ready for deployment so in a sense would override the lesser skills of the wysiwyg users.

I found this which seems quite useful to incorporate http://validator.w3.org/docs/api.html.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    I wouldn't say it would impede the accessibility of the CMS, but the usability, yes. It could impede that.
    Right, my bad.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!