SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website planning and flowchart?

Note: Wasn't exactly sure which forum this question might work better in...please feel free to move it and I apologize in advance....

Hello,

I'm wondering if theres any program that exists that actually simplify the planning process of creating a website.

For example the ability to input forum categories, descriptions, navigation links, description on the content related to each page, etc...

I currently do all this in microsoft word but it becomes a hassle scrolling all the way up and all the way down when overlooking the information i typed.

I know theres web based programs like this that allow for project planning and what not but I was wondering if there are any free windows based programs like this that are useful to webdevelopers.

Also i really don't need the program to keep track of deadlines, completion percentage, or anything like that. Just the ability to help me organize the content before putting them in the website.

Thank you in advance .

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try using some form of Wiki to structure your information and keep a history of changes - they're great for collaboration too. I've used them several times in projects of varying sizes. I can also recommend Trac, although it's only at version 0.10.4 it's got some very useful features for keeping track of tasks (through a ticketing system) and an integrated wiki too. Although some of the features may be a little overkill (as you mentioned deadlines, completion percentages etc) you can ignore them or even disable them.

These are just a couple of options, clearly there are a lot more but both of these are web-based so are ideal if you have your own testing server and enable collaboration and change management - definitely better than using static documents such as those in Word.

Hope that helps.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for your replies. I will look into doing as you mentioned for more complex web projects.

The planning program im looking for is just to help me manage several small personal websites im developing. I really don't need to keep track of changes or anything as they are personal and won't really be updated often.

Also my laptop that im on most doesn't have a personal webserver running so thats why i was looking for a windows based program i can just open, input some ideas i get about pages and content on the fly and close it. While at the same time being able to keep track of the navigation and categories for different sections of my websites.

I like your ideas though and I will look about implementing them on several larger client websites im working on.