SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Poor Man's Macro

I just came across an article on how to "create" a macro lens for your cameras. Since most decent macro lenses (at least that I'm aware of) are specialty lenses and don't do much more than it's specialty, yet they're pretty darn high-priced, if you can save a few bucks regardless of how silly of a solution it is, why not, right?!

A Poor Man's Macro

Maybe it'll help someone out in a pinch if you happen to forget your lens too.
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Piggy backing a lens like that is an option that's been used for a long time.

Most macro lenses today for SLRs and DSLRs are not "Macro Only", and are multi-use.
    For example, I just picked up the Canon 100 f2.8 Macro. Aside fro awesome macro shots it makes a great Portrait lens and is a good lowlight prime.

I've also tried it with my nifty-fifty (50mm f1.8) reversed in front of it, and that works great (increased the mag factor from 1 to about 3, but alos reduces the DoF alot).

Another "poormans" option to consider are spacer rings - you can get these to put between the camera body and most lenses (usually works best with a lens below 90mm). This gives most lenses Macro ability. You can spend $100 or more for a set or get a cheap set on Ebay for about $20 (what I did). The cheap set require you to manually focus though (which you should do for Macros anyways), and manually set your shutter time and aperature.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't sound like it would work very well (of course I haven't tried it so I have no pespective).

It sounds like much less hassle to just shell out the extra cash and get a true macro prime.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steelsun, I am in awe of your knowledge and experience in this area. Thank you for contributing in the topics of this subforum!

I am simply a "once-in-a-blue-moon" hobbyist photographer, but this new forum and weekly challenges have inspired me a bit (that, and the new camera) so I hope to learn a lot...there's definitely a lot for me to learn.
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    malikyte, I'm still in shock that SitePoint actually had a photgraphy forum!!...

And to think I've been here for years and never noticed before a few days ago.

I agree, Steelsun really seems to know his stuff !!

SitePoint Enthusiast thegunslinger1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot about the extension tubes (I have read that Kenco is best, but cost about 170 bucks and the auto focus works).

Another way, I think I mentioned them in another thread, is that you can find stackable macro filters that screw on. I have a set I got off ebay.

I have never tried reversing the lens, I have heard of it but since my Sigma 28-80mm has a macro setting on it I have never really went any further.

I still want the extension tubes though!
    Visit my photography at:
    www.charlesmarchese.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Shaun(OfTheDead): That's because they've only recently been added.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... Well that could possibly explain it then... hmm...