SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RSS Feeds & Wordpress

I am new to blogging. I just figured I'd set one up as a little hobby. I've got WordPress (latest version released a few days ago) installed. I noticed blog engines coming to mysite.com/feed, so I checked out that URL. Turns out that the ENTIRE content of my posts are in the feed.

Do RSS Feeds enable people to get your entire content without having to visit your site? If so, why would anyone want to make it possible for people to not visit their site?

I'm going to have to something because there is no way I'm going to allow people to read my content without coming to my site. Unless I'm wrong about something...

Thoughts?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have teasers (WP calls it excerpts) inserted into your RSS feeds, not the entire post content.

When composing an entry, check Optional Excerpt block. Then, check this: Options >> Reading >> Syndication Feeds, For each articles show: Summary. This will put excerpts into RSS feeds.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks for the info. I made the change in WordPress.

Is there a way to specify the number of characters or paragraphs of a post to allow in an RSS feed?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I'm not sure about that. But you can compose as short or as long excerpt as you wish.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesedude View Post
    I'm going to have to something because there is no way I'm going to allow people to read my content without coming to my site. Unless I'm wrong about something...

Thoughts?
    A *lot* of people read blogs exclusively with RSS readers. If you don't publish the full post, they simply won't read your blog at all.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    A *lot* of people read blogs exclusively with RSS readers. If you don't publish the full post, they simply won't read your blog at all.
    If they are reading blog posts using RSS, then they aren't coming to the website, right? How do webmasters make money off advertising if lots of people aren't coming to their site? I don't understand why any webmaster would want less traffic.

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding about RSS readers or something. When I saw my feed I saw everything. I originally thought that RSS was something that retrieved subject lines of new blog posts into a user's browser so they could then click what they were interested in and go to the website. I didn't realize it was everything.

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

You can fill out the optional Excerpt field in each post. Then there are also some settings in the dashboard under Options > Reading. You can choose how many blog posts appear and if they display the full content or just the excerpt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are reading blog posts using RSS, then they aren't coming to the website, right? How do webmasters make money off advertising if lots of people aren't coming to their site? I don't understand why any webmaster would want less traffic.

Maybe there's something I'm not understanding about RSS readers or something. When I saw my feed I saw everything. I originally thought that RSS was something that retrieved subject lines of new blog posts into a user's browser so they could then click what they were interested in and go to the website. I didn't realize it was everything.

There are a number of different ways RSS is used. Unfortunately the reality is that there are scripts created that completely steal a site's content and there is little that can be done.

If your looking to have a little more control over your feeds I'd suggest using Feedburner.com
    the undersigned.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but feedburner won't be able to block from malicious stealing also

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is your goal long-term growth or revenue from the handful of readers you have? Every reader is potentially someone who will link to you from their own site or blog, add you to their blogroll, talk about your blog, share your blog with people offline... the cost to you to allow them to read by RSS is zero, the possible benefits are many.

If your feed becomes very popular you can always include advertising there too.

SitePoint Enthusiast Daniel Primed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Allowing a fully viewable feed strengths reader allegency towards your blog and as Dan Grossman said above thats what you want. It might be good having a short feed for a while but in the long run you are best of sticking with full RSS support.

Oh and your keenest readers(using RSS) are going to want to post comments eventually so they will need to go to the site.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    eventually, if someone doesn't like ads, he won't visit your site often although you have great content, while full rss gives the alternative

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know any good tutorial on WordPress and RSS feeds ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastbutnotleast View Post
    Do you know any good tutorial on WordPress and RSS feeds ?
    If you use WordPress, you are publishing RSS feeds. What do you need a tutorial on?

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes RSS works right out of the box on WP, the only thing you may want to do is to create a FeedBurner feed for your default blog feed(s) and then install this plug in to redirect any subscribers of the default feed URL to the new one for stats.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    If you use WordPress, you are publishing RSS feeds. What do you need a tutorial on?
    Not really a tutorial, just accurate tips

On the other hand how can you build a blog feeded by RSS feeds ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastbutnotleast View Post
    On the other hand how can you build a blog feeded by RSS feeds ?
    You would need to find sites which specifically give permission to reproduce their feed content on yours. Then find or build an XML parser to take the feed content and either insert it into your webpages or into your database. RSS is just a distribution format and publishing an RSS feed does not waive the publisher's copyrights on the content.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm aware of the copyright issue Dan

I'm talking about publishers and sponsors who give the permission to use their RSS

Of course