SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: PHP Editor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP Editor

I know this sort of topic comes up often, so sorry for that. Let me go over my case.

I've used Dreamweaver forever mainly because I liked its highlighting. Obviously it is not software designed to be used PURELY as a "text editor" - and it ran slower than it should for what I wanted. So, I tried out UltraEdit today. So far so good - but it seems to be better suited for other languages and just has added support for PHP.

I was wondering if there was some sort of benefit of going to an IDE/editor DEDICATED to php?

I only plan to work with PHP and its associated files - like css files, html, etc.

Any and all input is appreciated
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An IDE is a must when you are developing complex applications. I use PHPED all the time and it has definitely saved me a lot of trouble, lot of time.
    • Automatic code completion (for functions, variable, classes and objects)
    • Integrated CVS, debugger,
    • Integrated Web Server (also allows embedding external web server like Apache)
    • Code Explorer (find where exactly a particular constant, variable, function , or a class is defined). It’s bound to save you from one hell of a time when you are modifying open source applications.
    • Integrated database client
    • Integrated FTP
    • supports smarty templating

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kailash Badu View Post
    An IDE is a must when you are developing complex applications. I use PHPED all the time and it has definitely saved me a lot of trouble, lot of time.
    • Automatic code completion (for functions, variable, classes and objects)
    • Integrated CVS, debugger,
    • Integrated Web Server (also allows embedding external web server like Apache)
    • Code Explorer (find where exactly a particular constant, variable, function , or a class is defined). Itís bound to save you from one hell of a time when you are modifying open source applications.
    • Integrated database client
    • Integrated FTP
    • supports smarty templating
    All those features are great - but how does PHPEd run? I have plenty of ram - but I also have LOTS of stuff open and working with... and I don't want to run some powerhouse IDE that will just slow down the computer because that's my biggest hate!
    AskItOnline.com - Need answers? Ask it online.
    Create powerful online surveys with ease in minutes!
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHPEd is a darling. very light on resources, lighting fast at times (unlike Zend IDE, it's not written in Java).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could take a look at Blumentals' web related software and download the trials.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PHP Designer 2007 is really starting to grow on me. It takes a bit of getting used to but I am definitely getting more productive now that I am getting the hang of it. It comes in two versions; one which is free, although this version has certain limitations and the Pro version which is all singing all dancing. I haven't noticed anything slowing down since it's been installed.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.