SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a page layed out with a two-column table. I'm using the following code to get a single vertical line between the two columns:

<TABLE ALIGN=CENTER CELLSPACING="10" FRAME=void RULES=groups>
    <COLGROUP span="1">

The problem: It works fine in Explorer but no line appears in Netscape.

Is there any combination of attributes that will give me the same result in both browsers?

Thanks in advance.

Melody

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Frame, Rules and ColGroup are new additions to tables in HTML 4.0. Netscape 4.x doesn't support any of these new additions, but Netscape 6.x will. This doesn't seem like a critical issue, so I personally would not stress over it to much, but then again I haven't seen your layout either.

What most people currently do to make the center dividing line is one of two things.
    1. They make a table for each of the left and right columns and place these within a third table with an appropriate background color and cellspacing to create the effect.
    2. Create a cell between the two columns with a background color or a background graphic in it and an non-breaking space to make it show up in Netscape.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    wayne@sitepoint.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you should use 1x1 gif file filled with the desired color. That's how i solved this problem. Put this gif image in empty cell and change the background of the cell to the same color that you used for image file. You probably know what I mean. The point is that this image keeps the width of the cell.

mare