SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to PHP and MySQL:: Calling all pro's!!!

I am a fairly decent web designer/developer, and am looking to expand my horizons by adding PHP and MySQL to my resume.

The company that hosts my site supports both, and I am getting ready to start playing around with some scripts in the book that I have (Welling and Thomson// PHP and MySQL: Web Development).

I have been led to believe that I will have to upload most of my work onto the server to be able to view it in action.

So, with that said, how can I turn my laptop computer into a server, so that I can view my work. If there is some better way, or common method implemented when creating these works, please... spill your guts!

Thanks,
    //Sity

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There'er so many methods to turn your pc into a server

First,you can use iis(internet information server),install it,than you will download php4 software
    and mysql software.......install them......Use your control panel-->admintools--->iis to set isapi,Copt the php.ini_dist file into windows folder ,rename it to php.ini. copy the php.exe into the folder too.
    then restart mysql,restart iis,restart computer.....Then copy yout webs into c:/inetpub/wwwroot then you can view your work by ie
    Http://localhost/*.php (your file)

It is not very particular ,Because my english is really
    poor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <freakyedit>please refrain from posting drivel in this forum</freakyeidt>

- post moderated by freakysid.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - the phpdev bundle from www.firepages.com.au will get you started. It installs a complete web dev environment on your PC which includes apache, php, mysql, perl (I think).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend setting up Apache, MySQL and PHP locally. Even if you're using windows I'd still go with Apache for development purposes because that is most likely what you're host is running (assuming it is a Linux host).
    If you ever want to play with some apache specific features (such as setting configuration settings with a .htaccess file or use mod_rewrite) then you're development environment will be as close as possible to what your web host uses.

The best installation / setup guide that I have found is here on Sitepoint. Kevin Yank's sample chapters for building your own PHP/MySQL website. Find that and print out the installation instructions. (Skipping the parts that don't apply to your OS)
    IMO installation of PHP, MySQL and Apache can be the hardest part of getting started, but it is well worth the effort. A far better option than having to upload your PHP files every time you want to test a change.

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh my godness

talking about installing those three...

damn..

pain in my ***....

hahahahahaha

i was dying when i was installin them.

i used to use phptriad.