Setting a fine example, aren't they?

Kid Koala

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_koala View Post
    Of the sites I visited, several did not even meet single-A guidelines like providing alternate text for images.
    That's only a failure to meet the criteria if no alt attribute is provided. It's perfectly OK to have the alt attribute but to leave it blank as sometimes providing it doesn't add anything to the user's experience and actually detracts from it.

As you've been coming to discover, AAA compliance is beyond the realms of most websites but because people can get an automatic checker to pass them up to AAA they think that's all they have to do to claim it.

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specifically @AutisticCuckoo, but also to everyone of course - what do you think of this accessibility tool? It seems pretty well thought out and has some fairly extensive preference settings.

I realize there is no full proof way to judge the content, but a way to check for the required fundamentals would be a good thing to have around. Something to assist in reaching conformance.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_koala
    I've got a client who wishes to follow the letter of the guidelines as well as the spirit.
    A client wanted this??

Wow!!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sentiments exactly. Apparently, they've got a couple of family members with disabilities, so this is important to them as well.

We've scaled back since the initial posting. Per the thread, strict adherence to some AAA guidelines is nigh on impossible.

Kid Koala

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandaggio View Post
    Specifically @AutisticCuckoo, but also to everyone of course - what do you think of this accessibility tool? It seems pretty well thought out and has some fairly extensive preference settings.
    I hadn't seen that one before. Thanks!
    The 'Icon view' is rather good for giving an overview.

On our office site's index page it correctly presents an alert for a link to a PDF document. (The report says there are 2 alerts, but I can only find one.)

On my blog's start page it says there are 2 accessibility errors, both having to do with the Google search form. This must be a glitch in the tool, though, because there is no such error.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    I hadn't seen that one before. Thanks!
    The 'Icon view' is rather good for giving an overview.

On our office site's index page it correctly presents an alert for a link to a PDF document. (The report says there are 2 alerts, but I can only find one.)

On my blog's start page it says there are 2 accessibility errors, both having to do with the Google search form. This must be a glitch in the tool, though, because there is no such error.
    I appreciate you checking it out.

Sounds like it's got some quirks, but could still help by catching some issues. I wish I knew how to interpret the result of the various tools better - they all seem to use slightly different lingo.

For example, I have this super simple one page site (URL removed) I designed and coded recently (it was a gift to a friend so I had to keep it really simple - it's just a biz card for now really) - The WebXACT tool seems to say all I am missing is the author in the metadata.

The WAVE tool does point out the PDF catalog which is pretty cool (I am gonna replace that at some point with an HTML list or table of some sort) - and the page seems to otherwise pass.

Is that how you would read it?
    Last edited by brandaggio; May 18, 2007 at 10:37.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that how you would read it?
    Yep.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Yep.
    Nice. I haven't really explored this that much because I feel meeting a strict doctype (and using sensible structure and copy) address an awful of lot accessibility issues. How little I needed to change (essentially nothing) was validation of this (granted it is much easier when you are dealing with very simple markup and structure).

It is nice to know that if I had to, I could make the checker/s happy.

Getting a handle on the various warning helps be aware of issues as I code instead of after, which is/has been really helpful - so I suppose it has influenced my coding ever so slightly.

I understand there is no full proof way to reach the utmost level of accessibility, but at the very least good coding practices give one a big leg up in the fight.

Thanks again for you help and insights, AutisticCuckoo.

Off Topic:

I am digging the POSH acronym - that is fun - branding never hurt .

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - The WebXACT tool seems to say all I am missing is the author in the metadata.
    This is something that WebXACT haven't sorted out, I frequently get missing comments on ROBOTS FOLLOW when it is in the meta tags.
    I have given up using their service as it seems to produce more errors even when you pass all validation with WC3 and you are using XHTML Strict.

I must say the WAVE system is so much more intruitive and it is easy to see where you've messed up.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize there is no full proof way to judge the content, but a way to check for the required fundamentals would be a good thing to have around. Something to assist in reaching conformance.
    I had forgotten about this accessibility checker. It is one of the best I have seen. As has been repeated no automated checker is fool proof, but this one does a good job of turning up things you might not otherwise think of. It does seem to have a propensity of flagging short paragraphs as possible headers even when the paragraph is immediately proceeded by an <Hx> object. I find that kind of annoying.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Guru Chroniclemaster1's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it may be "possible" to construct a AAA site. Typically, however, it is NOT a good idea. What you want to do is figure out your site audience, and implement what will make the site more usable for them.

Especially since this client has disabled relatives, they probably want something that accessible to THEM. W3C guildelines try to be all things to all people. I work as a librarian at an institute for the blind. And our AAA attempts did not go over well with our blind users.

We found the W3C guidelines to be a great beginning for designing an accessible website. However, we ultimately had to rely on battle testing by our target audience to lead us in the direction of a good design... at least until management put the whole redesign on hold.
    Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.

Chroniclemaster1, Founder of Earth Chronicle
    A Growing History of our Planet, by our Planet, for our Planet.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chroniclemaster1 View Post

Especially since this client has disabled relatives, they probably want something that accessible to THEM. W3C guildelines try to be all things to all people. I work as a librarian at an institute for the blind. And our AAA attempts did not go over well with our blind users.

We found the W3C guidelines to be a great beginning for designing an accessible website. However, we ultimately had to rely on battle testing by our target audience to lead us in the direction of a good design... at least until management put the whole redesign on hold.

It seems that your people came to the same conclusion as I have before, I guess having the luxury of a Blind friend and his son who is partially sighted has allowed me to test sites out before going totally live. Their personal input was invaluable for me and I have now found that best of both worlds is to think how others would use my sites and it seems to work. As one client proudly announced to me and some of his friends that he was totally overwhelmed when he found he could access his web site on both his mobile phone and PAD. It's nice to know that careful planning does pay in the long run.