SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever I'm in the mood for. If I'm the only developer I can jump around as much as I want. I usually find that its good to design late at night (after midnight) because otherwise my PHP turns out like crap.

And nope I can't say I've ever started with the content. For the most part my sites have user-aggregated content.

e39m5

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The future of the web design is CMS (content management systems) specifically open source CMS. I can design websites that would normally cost hundreds of thousands of dollars using Dreamweaver or any other static web design method. I can design by my self any website I want. I if I get few people who know Drupal I can design next Amazon.com in a week. There are thousands of people around the world working right now making CMS systems better, adding new addons, adding new templates, adding new modules. Even Google sponsoring Drupal development teams in US ans Germany to keep improving it and making it more search engine friendly. CMS ALL THE WAY!!!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeacon View Post
    I can design next Amazon.com in a week.
    off you go then, you can start now and post results here in a week

confidence is a great thing, but the above post? i dunno

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeacon View Post
    The future of the web design is CMS (content management systems) specifically open source CMS. I can design websites that would normally cost hundreds of thousands of dollars using Dreamweaver or any other static web design method. I can design by my self any website I want. I if I get few people who know Drupal I can design next Amazon.com in a week. There are thousands of people around the world working right now making CMS systems better, adding new addons, adding new templates, adding new modules. Even Google sponsoring Drupal development teams in US ans Germany to keep improving it and making it more search engine friendly. CMS ALL THE WAY!!!

Think you could knock up an amazon/google/facebook mashup for me? I'm thinking the best of the three sites - a surefire winner!

I'll happily link to your website in return
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think even if you had the very best developers it would take more then a week to put together a site like Amazon. Hell, it might take you a week to get the Merchant account, certificates, and servers setup. No way to build a site of that size in a week. You would need special magic server fairy dust to pull that one off.

My first time at this thread so I want to answer the original question:

Usually I am the cut-up / programmer of the websites I work on so I'm usually handed a PSD file(s) of the site designs and if i am extremely lucky I will also get a word document that is approved of all the copy for the website. I would also have an Information Architecture. This is basically a sitemap / wireframe of the site. You don't know how valuable this is when it comes to building a website until you have used one for the first time and then have to build a site without one. You'll be like, where is the IA!?

So, i think those are important assests to have before you even start coding anything.

Now once I have all of these things, I use Photoshop to cut up all of the pieces of the site and I use Dreamweaver to program the template.

My first choice for programing language is Coldfusion and my 2nd choice is PHP. Occasionally we will use an off-the-shelf CMS.

In this case, what i do is program the template in HTML first and do all my browser testings (IE5.5, Ie6, IE7, Firefox, Safari). Once I have it displaying correctly in all of these browsers I integrate the template into the CMS.

If its a small site and no CMS is needed usually what I'll do is a make a header and footer include file. The header would contain everything before the content starts and the footer would contain everything after the content ends.

That way if you ever need to update the navigation or the template you can always just edit the single file and your done.

you can build a site like that using either CF or PHP and I'm sure you could do the same thing with ASP.

So, thats how i do it. Seems to go pretty good most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read much of the above and surely the first place to start is with the client. What sort of site do they want? IF they have no clue and give us carte blanche then that is one thing but if they have clear-cut ideas then that should be the starting point. I have read the book "Web Design for Dummies" and it gives one much help for the procedures, especially when tackling large complex sites with an entire team.

For me I try and think through what type of client I am working for, then do a mock up and fiddle there until I am happy that it fits with their image as well as web usability. To my mind there are far to many sites that a beautiful but not too functional.

I then get down to the basic coding (using Dreamweaver design and code views), styling with CSS and the cut out all the repeating section and make my includes (which by the way I think is a brilliant solution to web speed of loading) and am left with what I call my template. I can then save that to as many files as I want, merely changing the name. Should anything change in my include I merely have to edit that one file and all are updated when they load.

I also use an Apache server on my local machine so that I can test offline (and on my selection of browsers: IE6, IE7, Firefox, Safari, Opera and Netscape) before taking up bandwidth by uploading. I am just starting to get myself clued up in the CSM arena as I also believe that to be the next great thing on the web.

Once all is ready and looking good I upload and start testing online. Once I am happy I then get the client to look (I don't have any index.??? files so they can't access from the top level address). Once we are all happy, I invoice them and when paid I change the file names so that all work correctly. I also charge all my clients a monthly maintenance fee which I collect via Debit Order. So far so good and all are happy.

As an aside, I try and vary my site designs from 2 to 3 liquid and static as well as some with tables (although I am doing less of them). I want to have a serious look at WordPres as base for templates but at the moment do my own work, which I find less restrictive.
    Ross Bartholomew
    Web Designer/Developer
    BartWebSites
    E-mail: ross@bartwebsites.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a very successful e-commerce website offering health and fitness dietary supplements. We have found that the most effective way to generate sales/conversions is by posting interesting and informative content and honest, straighforward information to our visitors.

Steve

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihd View Post
    off you go then, you can start now and post results here in a week

confidence is a great thing, but the above post? i dunno
    I agree with you there!
    All I can say is that CMS is a great tool for the people who doesn't know much about web stuff. However, would I create Amazon in CMS solution? Not in a million years (ok.. maybe within 50 years). What I'm saying is CMS may have 1000's way of creating a web site but if you're doing it w/ PHP/.NET/Java/other programming language, you now have over 1000000000 way. Not saying CMS will be dead, I believe it is here to stay and at the same time PHP/JAVA/.NET will still be the "primary" choice to build a "major" web site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, I will grab the domain name then surfing around the net looking for the free templates that suitable with my theme, color and contents. I would prefer the simplest free templates but catchy. I use front page or netscape communicator to edit my web pages including some free graphic software such as lviewpro and paint.

SitePoint Enthusiast TannerCreative's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give you the run down, without going too far in depth, so now to bore you Based upon the project specifications, I go forward with the following:

1) Gather client's design likings
    2) Design a draft for them. Go back and forth until client says "WOW!!!"
    3) Code out the html/css of the layout.
    4) Add in the flash at this time, if necessary.
    5) Create the "skeleton" of the site (the look of the pages so the client can click around - this varies depending upon how large the site is.)
    6) Start programming where needed.
    7) Test, test, test and polish!
    web design in houston
    Member of the BBB serving all of America!
    www.TannerCreative.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great way to learn how to build sites is to download some templates from http://www.oswd.org and tear into them. Find out how they work and how they are assembled. You can take the basic framework and customize them for your own use. It's a time saver.

Web development Company chrisranjana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also you can start creating templates for specific softwares. Like for example templates for wordpress, templates for vbulletin or templates for drupal and so on.
    Chris, Programmer/Developer, Chrisranjana.com
    Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
    Php Developers, Ruby on Rails Developers

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a lot of the things I do I use dreamweaver. But in most cases I do most of the coding by hand not using the WYSIWYG editor all that much.

John
    Great Plains Web Hosting
    Providing Small Business Solutions
    www.greatplainswebhosting.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm....
    Latest Songs , wallpapers etc http://www.apnayarana.com
    Cheapest web solutions etc http://www.ranatechnologies.com

http://www.friendswebhosting.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <snip></snip>
    Last edited by spikeZ; Jun 2, 2008 at 08:01. Reason: Keep advertising out of the main posts

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <snip></snip>
    Thank you Nate
    Last edited by spikeZ; Jun 2, 2008 at 08:02. Reason: Thanks Nate!
    ~ Nate L ~

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use dreamweaver. And for content management usually wordpress cause it is so easily customizable. Dreamweaver is really good too.