SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Problems Installing MySQL as in Book

First, I'm on an Intel Mac with OS X version 10.4.9.

Everything went fairly well (except for having to force the path myself to get Ruby to 1.8.6 instead of 1.8.2) until I got to the MySQL section. The install went fine but the following command didn't work:

Code:
    sudo /usr/local/bin/mysqld_safe5
    The problem is that there is no mysqld_safe5 binary at all.

I figured out how to launch mysql, but the default password was not being accepted as blank. I have figured out how to set one up but now Rails doesn't work properly as it's trying to use a BLANK or missing password. When I get to page 101 where Rails uses ActiveRecord to start writing to the database, it fails because the password it's using isn't valid.

Any hints for either setting a default password or otherwise getting past this?

I was really eager to get going, but these things are killing me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I solved (mostly) my own issue by creating a .my.cnf file:
    http://www.modwest.com/help/kb6-242.html

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been a problem for me as well. It says command not found. I cant get it to read the database. If someone knows a solution for this i would appreciate it. This has held me up for several days.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by choward93 View Post
    This has been a problem for me as well. It says command not found. I cant get it to read the database. If someone knows a solution for this i would appreciate it. This has held me up for several days.
    First of all, are you on a Mac as well? If you've followed the book's instructions you should've downloaded an installer package from mysql.com. In that package there are multiple files. One is the installer for MySQL itself, one is the installer for a MySQL startup item (to make MySQL start on boot), and the last one is a preference pane that provides a GUI tool to start and stop MySQL.

If you install all of these, you should have access to that new preference pane via System Preferences (in the Apple menu) to start up MySQL.

If you want to use MySQL on the command-line, be sure to include /usr/local/mysql/bin in your PATH (for example by modifying the file .profile in your home directory (as described in "Setting the Path" at the beginning of the Mac OS X installation instructions of the book. The MySQL command-line binary in the downloaded packages is just called mysql.

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Patrick
    Attached Images Attached Images