SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW, There's a photgraphy section? Cool I have a small photo problem

Man I swear I NEVER knew this section was here until tonight, freaking AWESOME!

Anyway (sorry I excite easily) I have a digital photo problem.

I hired a photographer to a series of shots for me with a couple of models and my camera. The images seemed fine until I dumped them onto my computer .. when I opened them in photoshop the models skin appear VERY red. I don't know if it was the lighting or the way he had the camera set (I've never had this issue) but I need to find a way to fix the skin tone on these?

Can someone point me in the right direction, a tutorial a quick fix in PS to desaturate this red? I tried the auto color in PS and it seemed to help but then I seem to be getting too much yellow.

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lighting has a lot to do with how photos come out. You can set the camera's whitepoint for the lighting used which can get rid of most of this problem. Color casts come about due to the lighting used, flourescent lighting can add a greenish cast, incandescent a yellowish cast and flash tends to be bluish as well as anything shot under a northern facing sky. Red sounds like a native whitepoint misadjustment in the photographer's camera, sometimes the auto stuff just doesn't cut it.

When I want to get good color, I include a neutral gray card (available from photo shops) and correct using curves in Photoshop so that I have equal values for RGB on the gray card. Call Curves Adjustment up with CTRL-M or menu Image-Adjustments-Curves.

I put a lot of my photography work into print and use curves for most of this work, you can work with overall color or individual RGB or CMYK channels for color correction.

Make sure your monitor is properly calibrated before trusting anything it displays.

Almost forgot, you also need to have the Info pallette open (menu Window-Info) so you can see RGB/CMYK values under the cursor.

Dan Margulis has a good book on Photoshop color correction.
    Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction (5th Edition) by Dan Margulis

http://www.adobeevangelists.com/pdfs...tByNumbers.pdf
    Last edited by gollux; May 11, 2007 at 20:01.
    Released under the Fiasco Labs Digital Damnation Copywright,
    it's yours to make whatever the 7734 you want with it.

(c) 2005 Fiasco Labs All Wrongs Reserved

SitePoint Wizard gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy dc dalton's Avatar
    Right behind you, watching, always watching.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gollux View Post
    Lighting has a lot to do with how photos come out. You can set the camera's whitepoint for the lighting used which can get rid of most of this problem. Color casts come about due to the lighting used, flourescent lighting can add a greenish cast, incandescent a yellowish cast and flash tends to be bluish as well as anything shot under a northern facing sky. Red sounds like a native whitepoint misadjustment in the photographer's camera, sometimes the auto stuff just doesn't cut it.

When I want to get good color, I include a neutral gray card (available from photo shops) and correct using curves in Photoshop so that I have equal values for RGB on the gray card. Call Curves Adjustment up with CTRL-M or menu Image-Adjustments-Curves.

I put a lot of my photography work into print and use curves for most of this work, you can work with overall color or individual RGB or CMYK channels for color correction.

Make sure your monitor is properly calibrated before trusting anything it displays.

http://www.adobeevangelists.com/pdfs...tByNumbers.pdf
    Thanks for the input. I do know he set the white point for incandescent lighting (he had halogen lighting).

I do know Photoshop but not from a photography point of view (I taught web design using it) but I do know how to use curves, levels etc. I tried using curves but I ended up with some odd shades.

thanks for the calibration link. I was concerned about this too as i have a new wide screen, flat panel monitor that i am not 100% sure is set up right. I will go through that and then try to play with the curves and see what happens.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In PS select all the skin and change the tone of this skin in: Image > Adjust > Selective Color.

In the little pop up window you can now set your individual colors. You choose in the options up top in this. I usually start with white, then the gray, then all others. You set for each color the percentage of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black. You will be amazed what you can do in there. I have turned black and white images into natural looking color images. This thing is very sensitive, what I usually do is go to the max change first for each color and then go back to set it right. I do this for each color until they sing together.
    ——.——Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS CS3 made it so much easier now:
    You can adjust the reds/magentas/etc easier in Bridge.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography