User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Position by Reference?

Assume I have a bunch of elements on a page. <li>, <td>, <a>, <div>, etc. Not all block tags, not all inline, but elements nonetheless. Each of these elements has a common class of "tagged".

What I want to do is getElementsByClassName ('tagged') and draw a tiny "tag" element on the top left of each of these elements. Easy enough. The tricky bit, I think, is that I'd love the tag to reposition itself if any of those elements should be repositioned by some other routine. IE: if my <div class="tagged" id="todays_sale"> gets set to display="none", I'd like my tag object to hide with it.

I don't expect that to be automatic, but I'm wondering how I'd go about capturing the style changes as events? IE: document.getElementById ('todays_sale').style.top = '100px'; would call document.getElementById ('todays_sale').tag_obj.reposition ()

Or am I expecting way too much here? Hehe.

Thanks for any suggestions!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    give your 'tag' elements a class whose display and visibility are set to 'inherit',
    and let the computer keep track.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 'tag' elements are <div> elements, which can't be nested in inline elements. I suppose they could be <span> elements, but I was hoping to have all 'tag' elements as direct children of <body>; related to their targets through script alone. But I may be able to pull off their being children of their targets.

Thanks! And I'm still open to other ideas

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you could wrap the tagged elements in relative positioned divs displayed inline for inline elements, and absolutely position the tag in the container div.

But a child span of the tagged elements is easier.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And wrapping the tagged elements in relative-positioned DIVs is out the question for LI- and TD-like elements, as they can't be wrapped. I'm feelin' good about the SPAN tag idea though Not sure what my reasoning was for not doing this in the first place...

Thanks again.