SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

opendir() - Remote dir with http://

As my topic says, I'm interested in using opendir() with an http:// URL. Is that even possible? We're running Apache and PHP 4.4.6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have set chmod to 777, and have Options +Indexes and Options All Indexes in the .htaccess file but I still get the error "failed to opendir: not implemented in <filename>"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you can't do it with opendir().

You could retrieve the raw HTML and match the urls to the files via preg_match/ereg_match and then do stuff with the results, but that's about it.

AFAIK

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. opendir() doesn't work over HTTP protocol. HTTP is simply a data transfer protocol.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you running the server that you're trying to opendir()? If so, and FTP is an option, you can connect to the server using FTP and retrieve the directory listing that way. Otherwise, use regular expressions on the HTML output.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also tried FTP and couldn't get it to work. I was trying to use the URL in the form of FTP://userass@domain/folder and if I put that in my browser it'd bring up what I wanted, but not if I tried to use it in opendir(). I don't run the server myself, but I'm pretty sure that the one that did it had put chmod 777 and such, so I don't know what else we could have changed to get it to work. (We were getting the same "not implemented" error).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need PHP5 or greater to use an FTP path with opendir(). Otherwise you should use ftp_connect() and ftp_nlist() to list files.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks.

I do have one more question. On the PHP page, it said that 4.3 supported any wrapper that supports directory listing, and I thought HTTP did support it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samanime View Post
    Okay, thanks.

I do have one more question. On the PHP page, it said that 4.3 supported any wrapper that supports directory listing, and I thought HTTP did support it.
    Most HTTP daemons (e.g. Apache, IIS, etc.) support showing a Directory Index, or listing of files in a given directory. However, there is no LIST command in the HTTP protocol.

The Directory Index is simple a HTML formatted list of the files in the folder, not a pure listing. As there is no standard way to list files in a directory over HTTP, it's not a valid wrapper.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I'm not sure, but maybe try curl [on a linux server and or in PHP.] or wget. But I'm not sure.