SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone offer me some tips or advice as to how I can improve my design skillz and knowledge ?

Besides, how should I go about designing a professional site ?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few tips, if you plan to design a professional site:

1. Visit other professional sites. Big ones! Visit lots, and take a look at their designs. Don't steal, but it lets you get an idea of things they do and don't do.

2. If you can't design a professional site in HTML, use Macromedia Dreamweaver or other web design software. I personally only use Notepad, but if you just can't do it well, don't.

3. There are many places you can read about web design. Read a few articles, most of the writers have already designed professional-looking sites. You can find a few at my own site, mentioned in the signature.

4. Ask friends to look over your design as you go. They can probably tell you what looks good and what doesn't.

------------------
    Dan (webmaster@webdevportal.com)
    http://www.webdevportal.com -
    The customizable portal for webmasters!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hrm, well as soon as div/layers work the same way with both browsers i would go for them instead of tables so much better.

In this crazy, old, mixed-up universe of ours!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to make a professional looking site, you're going to need some good graphics. I'm kinda trying to do that same kinda thing with my site.

I noticed that most big sites have a design where everything seems to mesh together. (ex. http://www.spedia.com/ has a table where the text being surrounded by a greyish square with menu items indide that.)

Most of the color schemes have lighter hues which means a black background is out of the question unless you're really good at this...

Depending on what you're sites about, you need interactive content with a BBS, chat room or whatever. That will also keep some visitors coming back for more.

Those are just some rough guidelines for making a professional site, though I'm not sure if my ideas match everyone else's.

I hope I helped.

~Tom

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two guidelines I always keep in mind when designing are simplicity and consistency.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a hard question that can be answered many ways. I'd say check out CoolHomepages (www.coolhomepages.com) for some 'cool' ideas for professional websites...

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    Freelance Web Designer
    justin@j.cx
    www.j.cx

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Resist the urge to throw in all the snazzy bells and whistles that technology makes available. Just because you can use them, doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Try to find a "middle-ground" between simplicity (like Yahoo) and sensory overload (like Amazon.com). That way, you won't bore your visitors, and at the same time, you won't utterly confuse them either

Put yourself in your user's mind. If you were coming to your site to seach or learn new information for something, what path(s) would you take to get there? Would the information be easy to find? or buried beneath other non-relevant pages?

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Sparkie - SitePoint Moderator
    www.pawsitronic.com - Your One-Stop Web Design Solution!
    ICQ# 82621206 MSN: sparkiecat@hotmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so many aspects of what makes a site professional...making sure text isn't shoved up against the inside of a table, making sure navbars are consistent, things like that.

Overall I'd recommend posting a review here and listening to almost *EVERYTHING* that the people here recommend...they won't steer you wrong.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer chris@mycoding.com
    MyCoding.com: Visit for Launch Notification!
    DomainMailings.com: Who Says All The Good Ones Are Taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk About Your Favorite Flicks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Matt's Article about Effective Web Design: Design Guidelines

Here's the URL: http://www.webmasterbase.com/article.php3?aid=205&pid=0

I suggest to print that article and post it on your wall. It's very helpful and will make your site professional.

Read alot of articles regarding this matter and will surely helps you build a successful website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always feel very fresh when design a new site. Actually I think I love design layouts.
    Some designs: ptnangkhieu.com (Vietnamese-based)
    free-site-promotion.com

------------------
    http://new.123finder.com/ - Helps you find cool domains for FREE & Registers it for only $14.95/yr
    http://www.guideclick.com/ - Qualified webmaster resources (affiliate programs, web design, tips)

------
    Son