User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice post, Paul.

Another reason I would unsubscribe: Only partial text on your RSS feed. If I'm not getting the whole article, I have no reason to waste my time on your feed. If you want me to click through to your site and see some ads (I don't mind a few ads, as long as they're not overdone and/or pop unders), make your content compelling enough for me to want to comment on it.

Marubozo: Agreed. One blog that I read daily that has really ramped it up is Mashable. They're up to 15-30 posts most week days. I wrote a post on my blog about how blogs of this size -- usually news blogs more than opinion blogs (i.e., they cover, or break, news items) -- have really out grown the blog publishing model and need to try shifting to a more traditional newspaper model that can accommodate a higher quantity of daily posts.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

Web development Company chrisranjana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Valid points. Also a blog should not deviate from its assumed or perceived theme. For example I'm not sure whether it will go well with its audience if a blog about cooking suddenly started talking about microsoft buying yahoo
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers,
    Ruby on Rails programmers,
    http://www.chrisranjana.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post - I learned a lot!! Now I know what not to do! What about what you should do?

What type of blogs do you guys like to read? I want to start a blog about creativity for artists and was wondering whether people would be interested?

I really like artist blogs where they document there process, put up new paintings etc. I learn such a lot from others that way.

Blogging needs quite a large time investment from the author and I was wondering if I should rather spend my time else where?

I would really not subscribe to blogs with too much personal information - like the baby is teething, the dog is at the vet, etc. etc. I suppose that goes back to what you guys say about quality content!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha View Post
    viewing FeedBurner stats is a roller coaster - Up one day, down the next...
    People are fickle. They get bored, move on, come back again (or not). Everyone is always trying to find the best content to spend their time on. I know I am. I'm all about what I can learn the most from, without feeling like I'm wasting my time on regurgitated material... though as someone else pointed out it's getting harder NOT to write about the same ol' things.

I wholeheartedly agree about too-frequent posting, too many ads, and partial feeds. Those are the top 3 reasons I unsubscribe as well. Although, if I know a blog has really good content that I don't feel like I can keep up with, but definitely don't want to unsubscribe from, I just start over by marking everything as read.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that people sometimes just move on. I personally find myself interested in a subject (let's say SEO) for a short period of time, I get the info that I need and then move on. Even the very best bloggers tend to repeat themselves (even the best national writers do this), and after a while it just becomes repetitive. It is very difficult to keep coming up with fresh new ideas.

Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richrf View Post
    I agree that people sometimes just move on. I personally find myself interested in a subject (let's say SEO) for a short period of time, I get the info that I need and then move on. Even the very best bloggers tend to repeat themselves (even the best national writers do this), and after a while it just becomes repetitive. It is very difficult to keep coming up with fresh new ideas.

Rich
    exactly....
    "Even the very best bloggers tend to repeat themselves (even the best national writers do this),"
    and even more it seems to me sometimes they try to repeat each other

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HTML Code:
    <blockquote>Your opinions suck. If your blog is based on your opinions, they better be well thought out. I won't unsubscribe because I disagree with you, but I will unsubscribe if I think your opinions are a waste of time.</blockquote>
    Then you must not read very many blogs. All the blogs I've ever known were people giving opinions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Revvenue -- If you can make $100/day you can make $1,000

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Then you must not read very many blogs. All the blogs I've ever known were people giving opinions.
    Personal blogs usually are, yes*. News/topical blogs are not necessarily opinionated. But I agree that part of a blog should be that it is on a personal level, even if it is topical. If you add an opinion to what you are talking about, it is more interesting to read.

* You probably won't find much opinion on my blog. Then again, it isn't so much a blog as it is a portfolio. But remember, this post is from my experience as a reader not as a blogger.
    Paul Butler.org
    JSSpamBlock - Reduce WordPress spam.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good tips Paul.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What makes me unsuscribe (if I subscribed previously) is bad content. I just hate quotations, newsfeeds placed as "content" and so on. I am sick of reading the same story on yahoo news (if I ever bother with the news) and see the exact content there. And videos taken from youtube and articles from elsewhere ... don't know .. for me blogging has to be more personal. I can even take an opinion I disagree with, but at least that's the author's opinion. Many people start blogs since they dream they'd get rich. And they fill them with the same crappy content they use in forums and other places, when they just don't have any inspiration to talk about what they think and what they have learnt and might offer me, their reader. i can even put up with a horrible design if the content is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the blogger starts to contaminate his or her blog with Youtube videos, I unsubscribe from and never return to the blog.
    Maybe the blogger ran out of ideas or thinks Youtube videos are cool, but I think it sucks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paul,
    Thanks for starting this thread. Unfortunately the web seems to have evolved into a selfpromoting, egodriven, time, (and money), consuming pain in the neck.
    There are some great knowledge driven forums and sites, (sitepoint being one), but these days I seem to spend so much time online without actually achieving anything. It's certainly become more and more about economics and less about sharing knowledge

My Space is a good example...who wants to have thousands of 'friends' and why? It's like a rerun of the mid 90's when everyone had to have a website without understanding what for.

Of course there are many great sites/blogs/forums out there but they are pebbles in the ocean compared to the ever increasing mountain of commercially driven rubbish with little or no quality.

I noticed someone mention niche above...I believe this is where the future lies. Small pods of people coming together to share a common goal.

The 'Net', (appropriate considerning how many gat caught in it), has fast become a portal for entertainment and commerce and a tool for personal promotion. What a shame.

SitePoint Enthusiast Daniel Primed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some excellent points made. If people are going to make money out of their blog then why don't they introduce adds slowly and make it look innocent and not scabby. That way they don't lose readers whom think they are in about the money.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Primed View Post
    If people are going to make money out of their blog then why don't they introduce adds slowly and make it look innocent and not scabby.
    Another excellent point. I see so many blogs whose obvious sole purpose is to make money, which in itself is not a bad thing, but they're overpowered with ads, and the content is buried somewhere in the midst. To me, these blogs only suggest the author behind them has either lost sight of their audience entirely, or it's a brand new blog and the author doesn't really know the first thing about marketing, promotion, advertising OR "making money online" as they claim.

In either case, I'm unsubscribing (in the unlikely event that I subscribed in the first place). I have no problem with ads on blogs, or people trying to make money, but good grief there's a fine line between tasteful advertising and just selling out.

SitePoint Enthusiast Daniel Primed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^well put, but why would you unsubscribe when they have adds on the site(and not adds in the entries and hence the RSS). They wouldn't get any money out of you that way.

Adds placed in the articles themselves are just horrendous. I can't stand it! Maybe its just that people on this site mainly(assumption) read blogs based around marketing sites, SEO and the sort?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree totally with fiestyred's above post.

Personally, I actually click through to read the post on the blog itself, since I use iGoogle as my RSS reader. So I do see the ads, and I do see the ugly layouts.
    Paul Butler.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgb View Post
    Too much meta-blogging. I get tired of people blogging about their blog. I don't care about your stats or page rank. Neither does anyone else.
    I hear ya!

It'd be like a comedian stopping the routine and telling you just how funny that last joke was. I mean REALLY dwell on it.

People have to get in and say what they need to say and then get the hell out. Leave the audience either just satisfied or hanging out for more.
    No Sig Required

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much is too much when it comes to advertising?

That is a question I often grapple with myself -- anyone have examples of blogs which too much advertising?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bochgoch View Post
    How much is too much when it comes to advertising?

That is a question I often grapple with myself -- anyone have examples of blogs which too much advertising?
    I can't think of many examples because I generally unsubscribe fairly quickly when this happens. I have subscribed to a few blogs now that have started going crazy with ReviewMe, which I find a bit annoying but as long as they keep the content up I might stick around. Another type of ad that really annoys me is the ones that underline the text with advertisements. Especially when it is used on the comments; it is very tacky when someone leaves a comment and a script adds links in the comments to products the commenter never intended to link to.
    Paul Butler.org

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    972 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reppy View Post
    It'd be like a comedian stopping the routine and telling you just how funny that last joke was.
    That'd actually be quite funny!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I just get bored....
    Covantage Templates - PSD, HTML, Flash Templates, Logos, Banners
    Developers: Upload your templates and name your own price
    Support Freelance Web Designers

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    972 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    For sure, and sometimes interests and priorities change.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too agree!! Good Discussion..... thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points, thank you for the insight.
    Get to know the man behind the screen