SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 79
  1. #1
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Halifax, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Why I unsubscribed to your blog

    I read a lot of blogs, many of which are small and/or new. The list of subscriptions changes on a weekly if not daily basis, and I have started to notice some common traits of the blogs I unsubscribe to. I thought I would share them with the bloggers here so that, hopefully, I will see less of it in the future . So here are some of the reasons I unsubscribe to a blog:

    • Too much meta-blogging. I get tired of people blogging about their blog. I don't care about your stats or page rank. Neither does anyone else.
    • Selling out. I can understand if you want to make money from your blog, if that is why you started the blog in the first place. I mean, if you are creating quality content, you deserve to be rewarded. And from a financial perspective, a blog with 10 hits a day that is monetized is making more money than one with 1000 hits a day that isn't. Just don't be offended if I unsubscribe. And for goodness sake, don't over do it.
    • Required registration. I shouldn't have to subscribe to your blog to comment. If the problem is spam, get a good plugin. Blogs should be a two way conversation; if it is easier for me to unsubscribe than to leave a comment, you can guess which one I will do.
    • Your opinions suck. If your blog is based on your opinions, they better be well thought out. I won't unsubscribe because I disagree with you, but I will unsubscribe if I think your opinions are a waste of time.
    • Not doing something original. Generally I would not subscribe to a blog that doesn't do anything original in the first place, but if by some accident I did, it would certainly not last long. This includes posting whatever you see on d!gg/reddit/fark with a paragraph of your own opinion, especially if the opinion sucks (see above point)
    • Taking on more bloggers. It might just be a coincidence, but I have seen more than one blog go downhill after taking on more bloggers. In another case, I saw a blog improve significantly. The difference was that the blog that improved increased quality, while the other blogs increased quantity.


    This list is based on my experiences reading blogs, not my (lack of) experience writing them. Although I do have a site that I call a "blog", it is really more of a portfolio that happens to run WordPress.

    Feel free to add to the list, I would like to hear what you have experienced.
    Paul Butler.org
    JSSpamBlock - Reduce WordPress spam.

  2. #2
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am totally agree but "Selling out", almost all bloggers sell their idea and inked thought on their blog in order to earn. This is the world, we can't help

  3. #3
    SEO/SEM Unkn0wnPlayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    240
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Selling Out, though we are all human and want financial success. There is a line that far too many cross though where it becomes a bit distasteful, but it is their site and they can do what they'd like with it. I will always visit as long as I enjoy the content.

  4. #4
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Halifax, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true, a lot of people blog for the money and I don't have an issue with that. What I meant was more for personal blogs; plenty of people blog not for the cash, but because they have something to say. I feel better reading something that someone wants me to read to share their thoughts than I do reading something someone wrote because they wanted lunch money. I have nothing against people who blog for the money, but they will have to maintain a higher quality to keep my readership.
    Paul Butler.org
    JSSpamBlock - Reduce WordPress spam.

  5. #5
    Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it really depend on the blog your reading.

    with regards to traffic postings im kinda of two minds. Sometimes it comes across as arrogance whilst other times it sounds like theyre genuinely trying to help their readers. Regardless, posts detailing traffic always seem to have a lot of comments so on the whole they must be popular. The same goes with posting earnings

    you make some good points though

  6. #6
    runat="server" Golgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post Paul! I'm always curious when people unsubscribe to Search-This why they did it?

    However, viewing FeedBurner stats is a roller coaster - Up one day, down the next...

  7. #7
    Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    816
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha View Post
    Good post Paul! I'm always curious when people unsubscribe to Search-This why they did it?

    However, viewing FeedBurner stats is a roller coaster - Up one day, down the next...
    ive noticed that myself. i always wonder - what did i do yesterday to make 5 unsubscribe? the next day 7 more sign up so im happy again haha

  8. #8
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Halifax, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha View Post
    Good post Paul! I'm always curious when people unsubscribe to Search-This why they did it?

    However, viewing FeedBurner stats is a roller coaster - Up one day, down the next...
    The roller coaster effect may actually be due to how the stats are calculated - my guess is that each unique IP that requested the feed in the last x hours is counted as one reader, unless they supply information on how many subscribers are represented by that aggregator if it is cached. If someone doesn't open their desktop aggregator one day and they do the next, it could result in your subscribers count rising by one even though they were a subscriber all along. Just a hunch, I have no idea how it is actually calculated.

    This list is just the reasons I have unsubscribed to blogs for in the past. It is by no means a complete list of reasons people unsubscribe to blogs, just some patterns I have noticed in blogs I have unsubscribed to.
    Paul Butler.org
    JSSpamBlock - Reduce WordPress spam.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Guru Marubozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Near South Bend, Indiana
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your reasons to unsubscribe but I'll add one more:

    • Stop posting so much. I realize that a lot of new content is good but if your posts are somewhat lengthy don't post so much in one day because as a regular reader I won't be able to keep up.
    This one can be frustrating for me. I subscribe to a number of sites that I like to read so it can be difficult to keep up as it is, but when a site begins posting 4, 5 or more times a day and they are long posts I simply can't keep up. If the posts are short, sure that is no problem, but anything a few pages long that requires some thought isn't digestible enough.

    It is a shame too because often these posts are actually of good quality with decent content, but if you take a day off or don't check regularly you can find yourself with hours of reading to get caught up.
    Generation X Finance
    Helping a Unique Generation Achieve Financial Independence

    Financial Planning writer at About.com

  10. #10
    runat="server" Golgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,085
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marubozo, I know what you mean. That's how I feel about Search Engine Land. It's impossible to keep up with. They post WAY too much - it's like twitter in a blog.

  11. #11
    _ silver trophy ses5909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    5,466
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with you Jeremy. TBH, I don't want to read more than one post a day from a site usually.
    Sara

  12. #12
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,600
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Nicely put Paul. Let me know if my opinions start getting sucky.

  13. #13
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Halifax, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marubozo View Post
    I agree with your reasons to unsubscribe but I'll add one more:

    • Stop posting so much. I realize that a lot of new content is good but if your posts are somewhat lengthy don't post so much in one day because as a regular reader I won't be able to keep up.
    This one can be frustrating for me. I subscribe to a number of sites that I like to read so it can be difficult to keep up as it is, but when a site begins posting 4, 5 or more times a day and they are long posts I simply can't keep up. If the posts are short, sure that is no problem, but anything a few pages long that requires some thought isn't digestible enough.

    It is a shame too because often these posts are actually of good quality with decent content, but if you take a day off or don't check regularly you can find yourself with hours of reading to get caught up.
    This is so true. As someone who likes to pretend I have more important things to do than read blogs, once I am a few days behind it becomes tempting to unsubscribed. Unless the posts are really timely, why not just take a break from blogging and set up WordPress or whatever software you use to to post them at some point in the future?
    Paul Butler.org
    JSSpamBlock - Reduce WordPress spam.

  14. #14
    Kiwi Fr00t jylyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    218
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marubozo View Post
    Stop posting so much.
    Yeah, but at the same time I quickly get bored with a blog if they don't post often enough... I don't 'subscribe' to any blogs (I never got round to figuring out how all that RSS stuff works) but I have a list of blogs I visit on a daily basis as a kind of morning routine. If I keep going back and seeing the same old content, I'll give up on that blog fairly quickly. I agree though, more than 3 posts a day is getting a bit much! I'd say 1-2 is ideal.

  15. #15
    Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    HAWK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    12,600
    Mentioned
    987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Yeah - it's nice to see new content each day, but people have short attention spans...

  16. #16
    SitePoint Guru Marubozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Near South Bend, Indiana
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jylyn View Post
    Yeah, but at the same time I quickly get bored with a blog if they don't post often enough... If I keep going back and seeing the same old content, I'll give up on that blog fairly quickly. I agree though, more than 3 posts a day is getting a bit much! I'd say 1-2 is ideal.
    Right, it is sort of relative. Some blogs can pull off multiple posts a day just like others can pull off only a couple posts per week. But I'm with you in the 1-2 posts per day works great. I have 30-40 different blogs I keep tabs on and sadly I do have a life and job outside of sitting on the computer so just one or two a day from each of those sites is more than enough to keep me busy.
    Generation X Finance
    Helping a Unique Generation Achieve Financial Independence

    Financial Planning writer at About.com

  17. #17
    <code></code><WoW></WoW> nukeemusn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    329
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread. I'm looking at starting a niche community site soon that will have some blog content on it, and I'll definitely learn from this.

    And my 2 cents:
    I totally agree about the meta-blogging aspect. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and one in particular, I love the content, but the first five minutes are this guy trying to get people to spread the word. Now it's well within his rights to do this, and it's necessary, but 5 minutes is pushing it. I listen to the podcasts primarily on my commute to/from work. My commute is only 10 minutes. So 5 minutes of useless content is a real letdown. It's the same way with blogs.
    My Blog
    The Obsidian Order - WoW Guild on US-Nagrand
    nukeemusn = Nuclear Electricians Mate US Navy

  18. #18
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    813
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too much blog post will let your readers unsubscribed your rss, make sense

  19. #19
    SitePoint Addict EJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Hills
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people will also unsubscribe because your site doesn't have many updates. Like one of mine, drops 10 one day, gains 20 the other day, this is without new content too.

    Anyway, I agree with all your points there, nice read.
    “There's a way to do it better - find it.”
    — Thomas Edison

  20. #20
    SitePoint Enthusiast icovey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    77
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know people like to use it as a tactic to drive traffic to their sites, but showing only a summary instead of the full text is a great way to get me to unsubscribe.

    If I've got a large number of feeds to read, I just don't have time to visit sites as well. That's why I subscribe to feeds.
    Cheers,
    Ian.

    7879 | Web Marketing Lichfield

  21. #21
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    27
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too much meta-linking in blogs these days! ugh... so annoying...

    Brett
    "Lord, beer me strength."

  22. #22
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    43
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont mind their opinions usually, but I dont like ads appearing on a blog.

  23. #23
    SitePoint Guru Marubozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Near South Bend, Indiana
    Posts
    657
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by icovey View Post
    I know people like to use it as a tactic to drive traffic to their sites, but showing only a summary instead of the full text is a great way to get me to unsubscribe.

    If I've got a large number of feeds to read, I just don't have time to visit sites as well. That's why I subscribe to feeds.
    This is another good one. I absolutely hate summary feeds. Since I do 90% of my reading through my rss reader, so if you are offering only a summary feed the title and first sentence or two better be really good to get me to click though.
    Generation X Finance
    Helping a Unique Generation Achieve Financial Independence

    Financial Planning writer at About.com

  24. #24
    SitePoint Wizard Wolf_22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgb View Post
    • Too much meta-blogging. I get tired of people blogging about their blog. I don't care about your stats or page rank. Neither does anyone else.
    • Selling out. I can understand if you want to make money from your blog, if that is why you started the blog in the first place. I mean, if you are creating quality content, you deserve to be rewarded. And from a financial perspective, a blog with 10 hits a day that is monetized is making more money than one with 1000 hits a day that isn't. Just don't be offended if I unsubscribe. And for goodness sake, don't over do it.
    • Required registration. I shouldn't have to subscribe to your blog to comment. If the problem is spam, get a good plugin. Blogs should be a two way conversation; if it is easier for me to unsubscribe than to leave a comment, you can guess which one I will do.
    • Your opinions suck. If your blog is based on your opinions, they better be well thought out. I won't unsubscribe because I disagree with you, but I will unsubscribe if I think your opinions are a waste of time.
    • Not doing something original. Generally I would not subscribe to a blog that doesn't do anything original in the first place, but if by some accident I did, it would certainly not last long. This includes posting whatever you see on d!gg/reddit/fark with a paragraph of your own opinion, especially if the opinion sucks (see above point)
    • Taking on more bloggers. It might just be a coincidence, but I have seen more than one blog go downhill after taking on more bloggers. In another case, I saw a blog improve significantly. The difference was that the blog that improved increased quality, while the other blogs increased quantity.
    #1 - I can somewhat understand your frustration with the "meta-blogging". Gets boring quick...

    #2 - Don't "over do" what? Selling out???

    #3 - Registration eliminates the hassel of having to screw around with those jerks on the internet that love to leave anonymous replies to some of the "sucky opinions".

    #4 - ...But that's your opinion...

    #5 - Out of the GOOGLEPLEX or so websites out there, do you expect to see anything original anymore!?

    #6 - Are you referring to the teamwork part of blogging where numerous people post at the same blog, or are you referring to making more blogs of a certain genre, but with different facets of the original blog...? Regardless, it shouldn't matter I suppose due to the fact that a blog is either pro or con. If someone likes it, they'll read it. If not, they'll move on...

  25. #25
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Halifax, Canada
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_22 View Post
    #1 - I can somewhat understand your frustration with the "meta-blogging". Gets boring quick...

    #2 - Don't "over do" what? Selling out???
    Yeah, I mean I can totally understand someone wanting to profit from their topical blog (personal blogs are more iffy), but limit the amount of advertising you do. If you put adsense after every post, every second post is a ReviewMe, and you run RSS ads, I will most likely loose interest in what you have to say. On the other hand, if you just add some adsense in the sidebar I may not even notice.

    #3 - Registration eliminates the hassel of having to screw around with those jerks on the internet that love to leave anonymous replies to some of the "sucky opinions".
    . That's what the delete button is for.

    #4 - ...But that's your opinion...
    That's true. And it very well may be a sucky one . But I won't unsubscribe from a blog just because I disagree, as long as the posts are well thought out. I'm not saying that my opinions are superior to anyone else's, but when it comes to my own subscribing to blogs, it is my opinion that matters.

    #5 - Out of the GOOGLEPLEX or so websites out there, do you expect to see anything original anymore!?
    Good point, but it is clear that some blogs are less unoriginal than others. I guess what I meant to say was provide some content of value.

    #6 - Are you referring to the teamwork part of blogging where numerous people post at the same blog, or are you referring to making more blogs of a certain genre, but with different facets of the original blog...? Regardless, it shouldn't matter I suppose due to the fact that a blog is either pro or con. If someone likes it, they'll read it. If not, they'll move on...
    The risk is in going from a one person blog to a multi person blog; it's a bit of a change for the reader. Getting back to what Marubozo said, the increase in post quantity alone could put some readers off. If the quality increases instead, the blog should improve.
    Paul Butler.org
    JSSpamBlock - Reduce WordPress spam.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •