I had to share these 2 - Taken at the Tahune Walk in Tasmania:

Fallen tree and the tree roots exposed

Nadia

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tahune Air Walk - way below the walkway - too difficult to actually capture the height of the trees - the whole walk was breathtaking .....\

And another pointing towards the skyline, but still can't capture the height of these old trees...

Nadia

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are awesome trees Nadia…
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Evangelist Andrewaclt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tree planted in 1798 @ Versailles

I think you can figure this one out

The gardens @ Hampton Court Palace, outside of London.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How absolutely wonderful! the filigree of the branches, you captured that so very well Andrew. I was transformed there for a moment, carried into pictures. Lovely.
    Ulrike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shot this one a while ago, and went to town on the post-processing. Looking at it now, it's a little to much. Anyways, live and learn!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A holy tree!
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pictures I took a few years ago when the rain trees beside my apartment block were in full bloom.
    Inspireo Media - Solutions for a brilliant web presence
    Hollywood Fashion Tape from Orinity.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunatly, most of the old tree here in the city of Lund, Sweden cought some disease and hade to be cut down. (here's one marked with red X).
    BTW, wasn't this thread called "Weekly Photo"? why isn't the theme changing to reflect the subject?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebDesignGold View Post
    BTW, wasn't this thread called "Weekly Photo"? why isn't the theme changing to reflect the subject?
    The new weekly thread is listed under the Photography forum - look for a new listing... here's the latest one: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482312

Nadia

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my Tree of The Week,
    with greetings from Australia,Milada
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Milada; Jun 3, 2007 at 04:00.
    http://sitepointstatic.com/forums/images/editor/menupop.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I'd add a couple

The first is a tree at Monticello, and the second was taken in Central Park; both are a couple years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is an image I created a log time ago. I turned it into a free downloadable greeting card from my web site.
    Mike - Senior Designer
    Effective Designs
    Fine Art in a Digital World™

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehehe Magic -- another artist! Here is one of mine: Palm Night. We had a special party on the beach, and this was the scenery. I did this illustration in Photoshop:

-
    Ulrike

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tree seed fuzz that blows around like snow drifts in the spring. Really strange the first time I saw it happening. Taken with my Motorola E815 cell phone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, that is what makes people sneeze!

I went out this afternoon to a little nature preserve in our corner of the country. This spot is a gem, very old trees that have survived several hurricanes stand there, most prominent are the Gumbo Limbo trees. Those trees are native to the area, also called Tourist Trees sometimes, because the bark peels just like the tourists do after a sun burn.

Ulrike

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots and lots of trees!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Hehehe Magic -- another artist! Here is one of mine: Palm Night. We had a special party on the beach, and this was the scenery. I did this illustration in Photoshop:
    Ulrike,
    how the heck did you do that?

Did you use the original photo and then did the rest of the magic with PS....(I'm not a PS user - too much of a learning curve right now, but wish I were after seeing some of your stuff :-)

Nadia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nadia. I had one picture of one palm tree, one picture of a bird of paradise blossom (the yellow one), one picture of the little orchid. They were all taken around my house.

And then I just created the rest in photoshop, I stylized the cut out elements of tree and flowers, duplicated them, twisted and distorted them as not to repeat. Nothing looks worse than a repeated element being exactly alike. I painted it with the tools in PS. The scene was a recreation of that night from my memory, a special birthday party.

I am a painter Nadia, so I am very familiar with how to structure a canvas, how to pit shapes and colors against each other. Photoshop tools are really only one of the smaller parts in the creating of such a scene, it is the long years of working as an artist that gives me this ability.

I only use PS Elements by the way, it has most all the things that I need in it for now. If you want to do a thing like this, you probably have to start with a photo of a scene, unless you know about creating a scene from scratch. It is much easier to take a photo base.

To describe the process is quite impossible, since it is done like painting, little bit by little bit, grown.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ulrike,
    I was facinated by it - no way would I ever try something like this - not even baby steps :-)

Nadia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia P View Post
    Thanks Ulrike,
    I was facinated by it - no way would I ever try something like this - not even baby steps :-)

Nadia
    You do not have to start with a full blown picture, you know

Just one element on a background is enough to learn. A baby step! Then two, then three…

But I understand, it is hard when you can not devote a lot of time to this. For me it is my life
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've a lot more experience with Fireworks because that's what I use for my web design work ... I'm afraid I have no idea how to even select objects or anything in PS ... I open it up, type some text and have no idea what to do next to get it 'styled'. That shows you what step I'm up to in PS :-)

Nadia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia P View Post
    I've a lot more experience with Fireworks because that's what I use for my web design work ... I'm afraid I have no idea how to even select objects or anything in PS ... I open it up, type some text and have no idea what to do next to get it 'styled'. That shows you what step I'm up to in PS :-)

Nadia
    That is so strange to me Just as it would be strange to you if I asked about the coding. You are familiar with all of those things, where as I am a baby there.

When I started with this digital work, not so very long ago, I started in Apple Works, a rather primitive program, but I learned just those basic tools, very fast too, because there were not that many possibilities. After a while those were so familiar, that when I got to PS, I knew at least how to take the first steps.

I think there is this overwhelming choice in Photoshop. What I did was just play in it. By nature I am very playful, I learn by playing, I do not care if something comes out at the end. I just watch what happens, how things evolve. Then I take one thing that really appeals to me and try to recreate it methodically. With that then I remember the steps I took. Then I build on top.

But there is another thing also: I have concepts of what I want to achieve, a little hazy, like all concepts are when you start them up at first, but then I push the tools to see if I can get what I have imagined.

You know, Nadia, PS comes with a help file right in it. That is where I learned most of the things to start out with, just the tools and how to run them, how to use them. It is intuitive later on, once you get the first steps, like you say: selecting an object is a major obstacle in the beginning, but not for long.

I have never worked in Fireworks. But it is something you need for your web design, I have not done that yet. You could teach me a thing or two in it

All just a matter of time and really need also. If we all just could live a thousand years
    Ulrike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, finally got myself organized and my Adobe Creative Suite 3 is installed... I'm loving this version of Photoshop, it makes so many things that much easier to manage. Goodbye, Photoshop 5.

Trying to post these in reverse chronological order so that when I'm done, the original topic order is preserved.

This is a photograph of an oddly shaped (and somewhat freaky looking) tree stump from the backwoods of a local public (and private) rose garden: Yaddo - most of the land is reserved for artists.

This is an overlook from a quick trip atop a nearby mountain (the smallest and closest of our 50, the only one I could drive up), Prospect Mountain, in Lake George, NY (you can barely see the beginning of the lake in the picture).

As I was letting my mother read one of the "tourist" signs atop Prospect Mountain (I brought her along, thought she might enjoy it - I've hiked the mountain too many times to care), I looked up and saw this birch branch. I thought it was a nice shot.

Yet another oddly shaped tree trunk. This photo was probably taken about 2.5 months ago, when I first became too lazy to (possibly touch-up and) upload my photos. Sorry! :P
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ malikyte -- you have some wild looking trunks there.

On my walk this afternoon I stumbled over this weathered old tree trunk. Hard wood of an Australian pine that is slowly silvering.

Ulrike