SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Change of domain name

Hi guys!

I'm slowly edging towards moving away from Google Blogger to something like WordPress.

It's going to take time, which is all down to me personally.

However, in the meantime, I've got a proper domain name and I've linked it in via my Google Blogger account.

Thing is, I've noticed a drop in traffic to my 'blog this week, starting within a couple of days of setting up the new domain.

I'm just wondering if this is to do with my existing domain name sliding out of the Google cache?

Also, my Technorati ranking has come to a halt. Just as a check, I added my new domain name and claimed it. Sure enough, there's 5 'blogs pointing to it.

Having then looked through the Technorati FAQ pages, I've found an article that explains that it's not possible to merge accounts.

Anyone have any more information on this?

I'd be really grateful for some assistance...

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A new domain essentially means a new website and virtually starting from scratch. If you can do a 301 redirect from the old site to the new site eventually things will return to normal. If you can't it's just part of the process and you'll have to work through it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've got a 301 in place, and I've always had a FeedBurner account, which should mitigate some of the lost traffic by retaining my subscribers.

It's a little annoying, but this had to happen sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the feedback...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess your readers are more important, if you can notify them all, get they moving, traffic ranks will follow up.

Bananas contain Zinc fonzerelli_79's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i recently moved from the .org extension to the .com and i definately felt the pinch as far as traffic is concerned but long term its good for your blog - any traffic drop should be short term

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys and thanks for your time!

Greatly appreciated.

I've gotten used to scoring highly on the search engines, so to see a drop like this in my organic traffic made me wince a little.

As I mentioned earlier, the long-term goal involves moving over to WordPress, which will really open things up for me, in terms of content management...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I mentioned earlier, the long-term goal involves moving over to WordPress, which will really open things up for me, in terms of content management...
    definitely, you will have more room to improve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've also got a tutorial for exporting all of my articles and comments out of Google Blogger and into a WordPress CMS, which as you can imagine, will be a lifesaver.

Thanks again!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I moved my blog I got a traffic drop for the 1st month, but now it's up to normal levels and slightly better too. I did a 301 redirect and then I search the net for links to my old blog and had as many of them as possible changed.

Even if you see a traffic drop in the short-run you shouldn't be worried. Also hosting your own blog gives you a lot more freedom and possibilities to develop an even better blog

/Andreas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is, I'm a PHP developer of old, but what I don't want to do is work with the shambles that is the WordPress templates.

I say shambles, because that's precisely what they are.

So I'll be paying someone to massage my design (as yet to be created) into their templates and then, and only then will I be hosting my 'blog.

Now that I (not personally as such, but my business) provide hosting, I'll have 99% control over the whole kit 'n' caboodle...