User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting ready for '08 re-design

Lining everything up for the '08 model year swap. I'm open to suggestions, comments and anything that you feel should be worked into the new site. Hope to keep the main framework of the site with styling and content changes. But I'm open to virtually anything... good/bad/ugly

The new splash page for '08 will also incorporate a 'low-bandwidth' link under the Enter link.

http://www.robalo.com

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh that's good. Captivating to say the least. I don't have much to say since I like all of it. I particularly like your menu roll over effects...ooo...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Rusty Buddy,
    Overall sweet design. I noticed on your video that loads in that there are three or four little dots on the lower right side of the video. Not sure if that is on your video, or flash player, but I know its not on my screen or anything since I moved the browser around...

I do like the top navigation as previously announced. However the sidebar navigation acts a little goofy. If you have the menu open to the first option (walkaround) then try and select Dual Console it wont. I think its because Dual Console is a small menu area than the space you have. Do you get what Im saying?

The text in the blurbs on the Boat Specs page is pixelized and hard to read. You can type that up in flash and maintain readability with the new release. I would recommend changing that to be easier on the eyes.

Could you have the opening video have volume controls? My speakers were up loud and it was just blasting when I first came to the site.

Overall, 4 out of 5 stars, after the above...5!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments guys! I really appreciate the feedback.

jomathanober: You say the text is pixelized on the boat specs page.... hmm... I guess I'm not seeing that on my browser. Is there anyway that you (or someone else who's seeing this) could post a screenshot? I ask b/c the text is typed in flash so there really shouldn't be any pixelization going on there.... hmmm..... Either way I'll check it out a little more in depth.

I'd say I have to agree with you on the left hand menu. It can be kinda jumpy and I've gotten several feedbacks regarding it throughout the year. So yes, I'm gonna work on it's functionality some and see if I can't make it a little more intuitive and user friendly.

Volume controls for the main video are already in the works, so you just re-confirmed the need for them, thanks!

Thanks again for the comments guys! Keep 'em coming!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey

Dang thats a nice site. I need to learn flash again..

Honestly no real suggestions... one thing i found annoying.. why does your logo disappear when you roll over the side menu? the logo under the menu shoots down... keep it there all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site, however I'm not much personally on the 100% flash. Beautiful designed, but maybe consider offering an HTML alternative?

Also, this is probably hurting your SEO, since spiders cannot crawl through and index your content.

Your navigation menu is very creative, but I'd recommend toning it down a bit as well.

Overall, that's a very clean site and crisp design, I'm just not much on the flash.

Best regards!

- Harry

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice site, looks almost perfect. just some small bugs like, if i press sound off i hear sound an on sound on i dont hear sound :s. I dont really feel it of having the site aligned a bit to the left.

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool site to say the least but don't you have non flash version for your site so that your site will be accessible to visitors who use dial up connection.

I like the flash menu to the right. It looks fantastic.

I like the nav bar at the top as well and the effect on it.

Overall great site but you got to seriously think about building a non flash version for your site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This just sounds gratuitous but I'm going to say it anyway. "Wow".
    -Pete

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the comments guys.

If you will check out my Original post you will see that creating a low-bandwidth site is top of the list for this year. B/c of time constraints, a low band site just wasn't in the cards last year. So that is in the works for sure. As for seo and the html site I coulnd't agree more. This company is just began taking steps last year into becoming a real internet presence in their industry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splash pages aren't good for search engines. I really like your flash design, your site looks great in Firefox, but I havent looked at it in IE.
    For the phrase "Bethesda home architect", my clients
    websites occupy 6 of the first 8 results
    on the 1st page of Google. My Secret SEO Strategy Revealed

SitePoint Enthusiast rideforever's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design looks fine in IE (6.0). Not a fan of the side 'wings' (i.e. your white column sidebars). What are they for, other than turning sound on/off? I'd lose them personally. Also I'm never a fan of sites where I have to scroll down 10% just to see the bottom. Seems a wasted action.

Don't get me wrong though, great design and innovative too. You might want to consider a html version for SEO, you can then give people the easy choice of going to the flash version and then see which is more successful.

Best Wishes,
    RF

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not being extremely picky i would say is a great approach! Good luck.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top menu under flash is looking very cool. I hope you will make it more attractive by the time.
    Free Designers Resourceshttp://www.Smashingapps.com
    Design Expanse - Web design resource http://www.designexpanse.com
    Total Fun World http://www.totalfunworld.com
    Every Minute World News http://www.everyminutenews.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does the site have to be so long length wise. it was cruising off my screen and causign scrolling the whole time i looked at it, and i got a pretty big monitor. Ii'd look at pushing the left side controls for sound to somewhere else, and getting your width down a big chunk.

But nice site.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Site is okay, I'm not keen on 100% flash sites though. Make sure it works without flash on as well.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very slick site, impressive to say the least. Only conceren is bandwidth that site must eat it for breakfast so an HTML alternative would be a good suggestion.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like it, but it seems too small for me. I'm on a standard resolution (1024 x 768). The design and flash-work is great.
    Max Nachamkin
    Enzyme Online - Affordable Web Solutions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice design, really nice, but I think you should read this article: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20001029.html It's old but still very useful.

SitePoint Enthusiast cubixstudios's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really like the site, especially the menu, really nice effects. Although i am mainly a css designer so the size is the only problem and the coding for SEO. But other than that awesome effort.
    Cubix Studios web design-

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful animation

Cool site, beautiful animation and welcome video. You can have non flash version for your site too so that it will be accessible to visitors who use dial up connection.
    Affordable Web Hosting - Only $3.95/mo.
    10,000 MB WebSpace, 100 GB Premium Bandwidth, Host 10 Domains
    Free Blog, POP3, PHP, SiteBuilder, Ecommerce, WebStats, FP Ext.
    Budget Reseller Hosting - Start Your Hosting Company - $25/mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    loose the splash screen and get away from fully Flash based site

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am concerned about the flash, not for dial up users - if they can't afford dial up like hell will they buy a boat - but googlebot (and others) finds it extremely difficult to read flash pages, if at all, meaning your site won't rank well at all at in the search engines.

Also, it strikes me that you were trying to cram in as many flashy effects as possible, the horizontal menu is ok I guess, but the left menu is annoying to the point that I don't actually want to use it.

I actually like the design of the site, the layout is clean and friendly to use, I just don't see why it was done in flash.

One change I would make is to make the three icons print contact etc vertically aligned rather than horizontally, they stick out like a sore thumb otherwise.

Barring that, there is just one error coming up for me, the page stretches horizontally, showing a bottom scroll bar, which I assume you don't want. Using Opera browser for reference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not bad, i like your movies

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent design... very slick... could be done without flash...

Doesn't align to the center of my screen... the horizontal scrollbar pops up unnecessarily...
    james
    Software Developer