User Tag List

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver CS3 CSS Layouts

Hey all,

Has anyone seen or used Dreamweaver CS3?

You can see the new feature set here,
    http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/features/

I predict that the CSS support in this package will give the spread of CSS based layout on the web a huge shove in the right direction.

I'm very interested to see what sort of quality the layouts are in and what techniques they have decided to go with.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, just watched a few videos. Pretty fantastic. I like the css managment, looks very good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope but ive seen the videos and it looks pretty freakin sweet. the best thing i've seen is how you can create inline styles then export them to a stylesheet
    Heavens Rejects : Online Clothing Store
    Alternative Clothing : Mr Blonde
    Front end development : By the Webfella

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are excellent, written by Stephanie Sullivan - who definitely knows her css :-) I believe there may be an article written by Steph at the Adobe site on these css layouts - but can't find the link right now.

There's an article here about them, but it's not free (sorry).

The templates are fully commented each step of the way (these comments can be removed by a S&R function btw).

You get one column, 2 col fixed/fluid/ 3 col fixed/ fluid layouts, headers, footers, no headers/footers etc :-)

The layouts are 'bare-bones' code only, it is up to the individual to 'dress them up'.... so yes, they are going to be very popular :-)

The css enhancements and these layouts are worth the upgrade alone - let alone the addition of spry widgets and all the other little things that have been added definitely make the upgrade worthwhile !

And yes - the atrocious dropdown menu creator has gone !!

Just my 2 cents :-)

PS If I get time tonight, I'll try and post up an example of one of the layouts.

Nadia

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was hoping a trial version would be available - but I don't think that will come out for a while yet - probably to keep the pirates away

Great news about the dropdown menu creator!

Looking forward to testing this one out, i'm sure I can convince those at work to upgrade, lucky me.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic thanks for bringing to my attention!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    i'm sure I can convince those at work to upgrade, lucky me.
    yep i put in my request today too
    Heavens Rejects : Online Clothing Store
    Alternative Clothing : Mr Blonde
    Front end development : By the Webfella

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adobe Dreamweaver CS3 - The end of the real CSS coder?

Hi guys - excellent post.

Firstly the piece of software looks excellent. I esp. like the mobile phone skins touch where you can preview what your website would look like on different handsets.

I have a point to make though. (I am torn on it) I have spent the past 2 years learning CSS and becoming 'quite' good at it. By doing this I felt like I had achieved a very exciting goal as not all web developers or people that claim to be web developers can work with CSS.

I know one of the main principles behind the internet is to make information available to everyone, including the languages that internet content can be constructed with. (Hence we have sites like sitepoint).

Maybe itís quite a selfish of me but itís disappointing to know that everything I have leant over the past 2 years, might not count for anything much in the web development market place due to everyone being able to create CSS so much easier.

Your thoughts...

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping a trial version would be available -
    Info on the upcoming CS3 trial versions:

Creative Suite 3 trial FAQ
    http://www.adobe.com/special/try_buy/trial_faq.html

Creative Suite 3 trials
    http://www.adobe.com/special/try_buy...ilability.html

Great news about the dropdown menu creator!
    Sort of - I should have been clearer. If you have a page that already consists of these menus, then that option is available... however, it's not available for someone to use from scratch :-)

Looking forward to testing this one out, i'm sure I can convince those at work to upgrade, lucky me
    If anyone is on the Vista platform, I'd check out the tech notes at Adobe site, some people are having problems with installation, though most of them are overcome with a few fixes.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that if anyone was a beta tester for any of the CS3 products, please ensure that all files related to that software has been removed from your system - there have been installation problems related to this also.

Hope this is all useful to some :-)

Nadia

¨.¨ shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiboy View Post
    ..Maybe itís quite a selfish of me but itís disappointing to know that everything I have leant over the past 2 years, might not count for anything much in the web development market place due to everyone being able to create CSS so much easier.

Your thoughts...

Tim
    You still have to know CSS to make anything useful, Dreamweaver can not do everything or know how to do everything. Like cross-browser problems and such.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where can i get Legit CS3 for the cheapest?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiboy View Post
    I have a point to make though. (I am torn on it) I have spent the past 2 years learning CSS and becoming 'quite' good at it. By doing this I felt like I had achieved a very exciting goal as not all web developers or people that claim to be web developers can work with CSS...

Your thoughts...
    Hey Tim,

Spending that time learning the ins and outs of CSS was not wasted at all. You've learned a valuable skill - A wysiwyg tool like dreamweaver can not be used as a total replacement for skill - Even with CS3 you will still need to know what the CSS properties do. The best-est hammer in the world has never put one nail in a wall without someone who knew how to use it.

I see this new feature set as a very good thing indeed - The more people learning CSS the better. Less tables.

Dreamweaver can not do everything or know how to do everything. Like cross-browser problems and such.
    Actually logic_earth, one of the videos I saw showed the CSS Advisor doing precisely that - explaining the cross-browser issues in the code and even provided some solutions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S.E.O View Post
    Where can i get Legit CS3 for the cheapest?
    If you are a student, you may be eligible for the educational version, which is cheaper.

Nadia

¨.¨ shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by markbrown4 View Post
    Actually logic_earth, one of the videos I saw showed the CSS Advisor doing precisely that - explaining the cross-browser issues in the code and even provided some solutions
    But one still must apply them or care enough to look at the advisor.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.