SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Licensing PHP Scripts

Whats the best to license a paid PHP script?

Thanks,
    e39m5

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either restrict usage by domain or include a license file (or embed one in the code) with the code when you distribute it. The program will need to contact your server to verify the license or domain is valid. To protect from the user simply deleting that code, encode the application with IonCube or Zend Encoder.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its kindof an impossibility to entirely protect your scripts like that. think about software. microsoft puts all this effort into protecting their software and its still being pirated everywhere.

you can encode it forever, but it will still beable to be broken.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    voodoo, of course but there should be some kind of protection. Does anyone know of a good program that can put together an installer for me? Or do I just need to do it by hand?

Thanks,
    e39m5

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoomagic View Post
    its kindof an impossibility to entirely protect your scripts like that. think about software. microsoft puts all this effort into protecting their software and its still being pirated everywhere.

you can encode it forever, but it will still beable to be broken.
    Yes, but doing this is often the difference between a commercial PHP script 99% of people will buy from the author and one you can find in every "100 free scripts" zip. Most people are lazy, and most businesses will pay for software if it's reasonably priced.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wouldnt it be better and less complex if you were to simply sell the company a license to use your script based on some sort of contract?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A license is a contract.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i know that, but would this not be the better option?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's how all software is sold. The contract isn't always written but it's always present for a sale to have occurred. So what is your suggestion? What part of the contract prevents wide distribution of the code for free after selling one copy?

It's not an issue for some companies, especially if what you're selling only appeals to a very limited market that isn't likely to go around sharing your code, but what else are we going to discuss in this thread?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.

What if i want my users to be able to hack/edit my code?

e39m5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then, you should include such rights in the liscence.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sell the software license plus support fee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by e39m5 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

What if i want my users to be able to hack/edit my code?

e39m5
    Your choice is to either leave the code unencoded so it's all accessible, or encode only the core of the program while leaving other portions unencoded (like template files).

We're from teh basements.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Either restrict usage by domain or include a license file (or embed one in the code) with the code when you distribute it. The program will need to contact your server to verify the license or domain is valid. To protect from the user simply deleting that code, encode the application with IonCube or Zend Encoder.
    If you don't have the funds to buy IonCube or Zend Encoder, you could host crucial portions of the application on your own servers, perhaps as a Web Service. This could be done in such a way as to render the public portions of the code worthless if license/domain validation fails.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great. I just realized my entire application relies on the use of paypal integration. If I could divise a method to post IPN variables to the users script after I verify their license, the entire system will be secure (unless of course they make their own payment processing file). Can anyone think of any negatives to using a method like this off the top of their head?

Thanks,
    e39m5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't follow. Why would *you* post to an IPN script (only PayPal can -- the verification protocol ensures that), and how does that relate to licensing?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have my customers set their paypal information to post the data to my website. My website can recieve the data, verify that they are using a valid license, and then post the data to my customers server.

e39m5