User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DOM Object not holding all line breaks for Textarea

I have a very large string all contained in a DOM object and not written to a textarea until all the pieces of the string are gathered in memory. As I acquire each componet of the string I place a \r\n after the piece (sometimes a double \r\n\n). While an alert(); picks this up perfectly -- the textarea is not reading the line breaks correctly. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can you show us the code for the textarea?
    - A. Alfred Ayache
    PHP/MySQL ZCE

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I got a text area to retain escaped line breaks reliably was to set a css property- textarea{white-space:pre}

If you don't, the textarea will wrap long lines of text in addition to your formatted line breaks.
    The problem is not as bad, in my opinion, as the solution-
    you will have to scroll horizontally, now, to read those long lines.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used the <pre> tags and I have also just discovered the sitepoint blog describing this problem in detail. (http://www.sitepoint.com/blogs/2004/...-javascript/):

"When you assign a string to the value attribute of an input object, IE silently converts your nice \n line endings to the platform preference."

His solution however does not work either:

"Bizzarely, if you assign to the value attribute of a hidden form field object no conversion takes place; the line endings are only changed if you assign to a text area."

This solution is still not working for me. Right now I am trying to think of a way to convert my DOM object to a Session("object") variable and then place that value in the textarea. Unfortunately I have to take a trip to the server in order to accomplish this.

There has got to be a better way. Surely javascript has some hack or workaround for this.