Hybrid View

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appraisals/valuations

I have two questions..

(1) I'm curious to know why website appraisals aren't allowed in forums like Sitepoint. I assume there's some problem with allowing them that I haven't thought about - anyone know what it is?

(2) Does anyone know where I could get a website valuation that simulates a Sitepoint auction, or gets the same sort of feedback? I see that some people post "Thinking about selling" auctions and then cancel. I'm going to be honest and not do that - I just want a genuine market valuation instead of the flakey scams and useless automated appraisals I've come across.

Thx.

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dave owen View Post
    (1) I'm curious to know why website appraisals aren't allowed in forums like Sitepoint. I assume there's some problem with allowing them that I haven't thought about - anyone know what it is?
    Because they don't want to violate price fixing laws that exist in certain countries.

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I see... I wouldn't have thought of that. That does seem strange, I can't quite see how that would happen but I will bow to their superior understanding of such things.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, there are no professional appraisers who do small websites as there is no central database of past sales to draw on for reference/comparison.

Your best bet is to see if sites similar to yours have sold on sitepoint.com in the past. There's hundreds of auctions going up every month - by seeing what sells, what doesn't, and at what multiples, you'll get a good feel for the market.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Matt,

Thanks. I have been doing that and it's been interesting to see how much some of them go for.

BTW, it's not really a small site. It's 9 years old, PR6, with over a thousand pages of high-quality original material earning around $3000 per month. It also has some assets which I believe make it more valuable than you would initially think, which is making it harder for me to judge it's real value. I would certainly value it much higher than the "*10 month earnings" formula.

SitePoint Co-founder Matt Mickiewicz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you're selling price will to be in the tens of thousands, I would just go ahead and list it and see what bids you get. The listing fee is tiny compared to the amount you could potentially get for the site... there's virtually no risk.
    Matt Mickiewicz - Co-Founder
    SitePoint.com - Empowering Web Developers Since 1997
    Follow me on Twitter.

Necromancer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, okay, if that's alright with you I'd love to. I just don't want to waste people's time as I probably won't end up selling it yet. I just need a valuation at this stage so I can make some plans.

Thanks again for your answers.